Name for a particular time travel paradox

In summary, the conversation discussed an interesting property of time travel based on Novikov's self-consistency principle. This principle suggests that if someone were to encounter their future self, they would be unable to die or harm themselves in any way that would prevent them from eventually going back in time. This concept is known as the "grandfather paradox." The individual is simply seeking the name of this concept for further research, and is not looking for a debate on the topic.
Tac-Tics
I have thought of an interesting property of time travel based on Novikov's self-consistency principle. I'm sure it's not wholly original, but if someone has heard of it before, I'd really like to know the name given to it so I can research it:

If you find yourself next to a future version of yourself, by Novikov's principle, you should find yourself unable to die or otherwise impair yourself from eventually going back in time.

I'm not really looking for a heated debate on the topic. Just the name is all I'm looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tac-Tics said:
I have thought of an interesting property of time travel based on Novikov's self-consistency principle. I'm sure it's not wholly original, but if someone has heard of it before, I'd really like to know the name given to it so I can research it:

If you find yourself next to a future version of yourself, by Novikov's principle, you should find yourself unable to die or otherwise impair yourself from eventually going back in time.

I'm not really looking for a heated debate on the topic. Just the name is all I'm looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_paradox

The paradox you are describing is commonly known as the "Grandfather Paradox." This refers to the idea that if a person were to travel back in time and kill their own grandfather before their parent was conceived, it would create a paradox in which the time traveler could not exist to go back in time in the first place. This paradox is often used as a thought experiment to explore the implications of time travel and the potential for altering the past. While Novikov's self-consistency principle does offer a potential solution to this paradox, it is still a topic of much debate and further research in the scientific community.

1. What is a "Name for a particular time travel paradox"?

A "Name for a particular time travel paradox" refers to a specific scenario or situation within the concept of time travel that presents a logical contradiction or impossibility.

2. Can you provide an example of a "Name for a particular time travel paradox"?

One example of a "Name for a particular time travel paradox" is the Grandfather Paradox, in which a person travels back in time and accidentally prevents their own birth by altering events in the past.

3. How do time travel paradoxes challenge the concept of time travel?

Time travel paradoxes challenge the concept of time travel because they present scenarios that are logically impossible or contradictory, making it difficult to understand how time travel could actually work.

4. Are there any proposed solutions to "Name for a particular time travel paradox"?

There are various proposed solutions to "Name for a particular time travel paradox", but none have been universally accepted or proven. Some theories suggest that parallel universes or alternate timelines may exist to avoid paradoxes, while others propose that the timeline is self-correcting and any changes made in the past will ultimately lead to the same outcome.

5. How do "Name for a particular time travel paradox" impact scientific research on time travel?

"Name for a particular time travel paradox" have a significant impact on scientific research on time travel as they force scientists to consider and address the limitations and contradictions of the concept. They also inspire new ideas and theories for how time travel could potentially work, leading to further exploration and understanding of this fascinating concept.