Calculating Point Charge from Kinetic Energy and Electric Potential

Thank you for pointing that out.In summary, using the conservation of energy equation and the given values, it is determined that the charge Q is equal to -9.3437152 x 10^-12 µC. The mistake in the final calculation was using a charge of 2 instead of 2 µC.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

A point charge Q resides at the origin. A particle of mass 0.005 kg carries a charge of 2 µC. The particle is released from rest at x=3 m. Its kinetic energy as it passes x=0.5 m is 0.28 J. The Coulomb constance is 8.99x10^9 N*m^2/C^2. Find the charge Q. Answer in units of µC.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy: PE_f + KE_f = PE_i + KE_i

The Attempt at a Solution

KE_i = 0 (starts from rest)
PE_i = kqQ/xi = kqQ/3
KE_f = .28 j
PE_f = kqQ/.5
kqQ[(1/.5) - (1/3)] = - .28
(8.99 x 10^9)(2)Q[1.66667] = -.28
Q = -9.3437152 x 10^-12 µC

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
(8.99 x 10^9)(2)Q[1.66667] = -.28
Q = -9.3437152 x 10^-12 µC

The given charge is 2μC

Oh wow! Stupid mistake.

Last edited:

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in space. It is commonly referred to as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric charge?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy associated with an electric charge, while electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that can be positive or negative. Electric charge is measured in coulombs (C).

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric charge?

The relationship between electric potential and electric charge is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In other words, the greater the electric charge, the greater the electric potential.

4. How is electric potential created?

Electric potential is created by the presence of electric charges. When positive and negative charges are separated, they create an electric field, which in turn creates an electric potential. Electric potential can also be created through the flow of electric current.

5. How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential is measured using a device called a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference (voltage) between two points in an electric field. The unit of measurement for electric potential is the volt (V).