What is the Angular Frequency of a Bent Wire Over a Pivot?

In summary, a uniform piece of wire in an upside down V shape with angle \theta between two legs of length L and placed over a pivot can be treated as a physical pendulum. The angular frequency of small-amplitude oscillations about the equilibrium can be calculated using the equation \omega=\sqrt{\frac{3g\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}{2L}} and the moment of inertia can be found using I=\frac{2}{3}mL^2.
vladimir69

Homework Statement

A uniform piece of wire is bent into an upside down V shape with angle [itex]\theta[/itex] between two legs of length L. The wire is placed over a pivot. Show that the angular frequency of small-amplitude oscillations about the equilibrium is
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{3g\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}{2L}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

maybe centre of mass of a rod comes into it
maybe [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{I}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know how to start this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Treat it as a physical pendulum. (Which is what it is.)

the shape of the thing makes it a bit tricky because i think i have to find out the centre of mass
perhaps the centre of mass could be found by
[tex]\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}=\frac{x}{\frac{L}{2}}[/tex]
where x is the vertical distance as measured from the pivot point
so
[tex]x=\frac{L}{2}\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}[/tex]
and let the mass of the wire be m
then
[tex]I\alpha=mgx\sin\phi[/tex]
[tex]I=mx^2[/tex]
where
[tex]\alpha=\frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2}[/tex]
[tex]mx^2\frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2}=mgx\sin\phi[/tex]
[tex]x\frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2}=g\sin\phi[/tex]
[tex]\frac{L}{2}\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}\frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2}\approx g\phi[/tex]
not sure where a 3 will pop in but that's my best effort

It's not true for this case that [itex]I = mx^2[/itex], because it's not a point mass, it's a rod. (Actually it's like two rods)

ok i think i have it
[tex]I=\frac{2}{3}mL^2[/tex]
[tex]I\alpha\approx 2mgx\phi[/tex]
and then omega can be calculated from this
[tex]\frac{1}{3}L^2\alpha\approx gx\phi[/tex]

1. What is an oscillating piece of wire?

An oscillating piece of wire is a wire that moves back and forth in a regular pattern. This movement is often caused by a force or energy source acting upon the wire, such as an electric current or a vibrating object.

2. How does an oscillating piece of wire work?

An oscillating piece of wire works by converting energy into motion. The wire is able to move back and forth due to the force of the energy acting on it. This movement can be harnessed for various purposes, such as creating sound in musical instruments or transmitting information in telecommunication devices.

3. What factors affect the oscillation of a piece of wire?

The oscillation of a piece of wire can be affected by several factors, including the length and thickness of the wire, the tension applied to the wire, and any external forces or energy sources acting upon the wire. These factors can impact the frequency and amplitude of the oscillation.

4. What are some common applications of an oscillating piece of wire?

An oscillating piece of wire has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is commonly used in electronics, such as antennas and speakers, as well as in musical instruments like guitars and violins. It is also used in various scientific experiments, such as in the study of waves and vibrations.

5. How can the oscillation of a piece of wire be measured?

The oscillation of a piece of wire can be measured using various instruments and techniques. One common method is to use a oscilloscope, which measures the voltage changes in the wire over time. Other methods include using a strobe light to capture the motion of the wire or using a frequency counter to measure the frequency of the oscillation.