Centripetal Force / Tension / Speed

In summary: A couple of things here:- You don't need to divide by 2.- The right side should be 80-b, not 80/2.Does that help?c2 = a2+b2c (hyp) = 80-b cos0 = b / 80-b cos0 * 80 /2 = bA couple of things here:- You don't need to divide by 2.- The right side should be 80-b, not 80/2.Does that help?In summary, we have a 100 g bead sliding along an 80 cm string
bumblebeeliz
Centripetal Force / Tension / Speed (HELP!)

Homework Statement

A 100 g bead is free to slide along an 80 cm long piece of string ABC. The ends of the string are attached to a vertical pole at A and C, which are 40 cm apart. When the pole is rotated about its axis, AB becomes horizontal.
a. Find the tension in the string.
b. Find the speed of the bead at B.

Homework Equations

Fr= mv2 / r

v= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r / T

v= [tex]\sqrt{}m /r[/tex] ?

Ft = Fn - mg?

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 100g = 0.1m
length =80cm
radius = 40cm? = 0.4

I drew a free-body diagram with just the beed. Normal force going up, mg going down and tension going towards the pole on line A and C.

I think b) is:

v= [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] rg
= [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] 0.4m * 9.80m/s2
= 1.979 m/s

I usually know where to go from here but I am really stuck with the Tension.
Any ideas? :)

Attachments

• assignmet1_17.png
    assignmet1_17.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bumblebeeliz said:
m = 100g = 0.1m
length =80cm
radius = 40cm? = 0.4
No, the radius of the bead's motion is not 40 cm. The distance AC is 40 cm; use that fact, the length of the string, and some trig to figure out the radius and angles.

I drew a free-body diagram with just the beed. Normal force going up, mg going down and tension going towards the pole on line A and C.
There's no "normal force" since the bead is not resting on a surface. There's just the tension force from the string (which acts twice: once toward A and once toward C) and the weight.

Apply Newton's 2nd law for both the horizontal and vertical directions.

Trig:

I know I have a 90 degree angle and 40cm between A & C. But I can't seem to find the right formula. Are you talking about the c2=a2+b2?

Or the sin0=opp/hyp? I am just having trouble putting the hypotenuse on the other side of the equation. Does it equal to:
sin0 = 40cm / hyp
hyp= 40cm/sin-1

Tension:

I always seem add the normal force automatically. I think that's a bad habit. So if its in the air or accelerating vertically, it does not have a normal force?

Should I continue with this formula:

For B-A: Ft sin0 = mv2/r
For B-C: Ft cos0 = mv2/r

Do I use v from my first message: [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] rg = 1.979 m/s

bumblebeeliz said:
Trig:

I know I have a 90 degree angle and 40cm between A & C. But I can't seem to find the right formula. Are you talking about the c2=a2+b2?
You'll need that formula plus the fact that the length of the string (which comprises two of the sides) is given. That will allow you to find all three sides of the triangle.

Tension:

I always seem add the normal force automatically. I think that's a bad habit. So if its in the air or accelerating vertically, it does not have a normal force?
A normal force is exerted between two objects (or an object and a surface). The only thing touching the bead is the string.

Should I continue with this formula:

For B-A: Ft sin0 = mv2/r
For B-C: Ft cos0 = mv2/r
The direction of the centripetal acceleration is horizontal (to the left in your diagram).

Do I use v from my first message: [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] rg = 1.979 m/s
No, that is incorrect. First get the sides of the triangle, then set up your force equations. The tension and the speed will be the unknowns in your equations, which you'll solve for.

Doc Al said:
You'll need that formula plus the fact that the length of the string (which comprises two of the sides) is given. That will allow you to find all three sides of the triangle.

c2 = a2+b2
c (hyp) = 80-b
sin0 = 40 / 80-b sin0 * 80 - 40 = b
cos0 = b / 80-b cos0 * 80 /2 = b

cos0 * 80 /2 = sin0 * 80 - 40
cos0 * 80 = sin0 * 80 - 40 * 2
cos0 / sin0 = 80-40 *2 / 80
tan0 = 1
0 = tan-1 1
0 = 45 degrees?

I think I am having a lot of trouble with the trig. I reviewed trig material but I can't seem to get it! Any resources I could look at?

Doc Al said:
The direction of the centripetal acceleration is horizontal (to the left in your diagram).

Tcb sin0 -ma
T = Tcb cos0 ?

Last edited:
bumblebeeliz said:
c2 = a2+b2
c (hyp) = 80-b
OK. Note that "a" is the vertical side of the triangle, thus a = 40 cm.

You have two equations with two unknowns. Solve for b & c. (Note that "b", the horizontal side of the triangle, will be the radius you'll use in your formula for centripetal acceleration.)

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force related to tension?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or other similar object when it is pulled at both ends. In the case of circular motion, tension acts as the centripetal force, pulling on the object towards the center of the circle.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force depends on the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. The greater the mass or speed of the object, or the smaller the radius, the greater the centripetal force required to keep it in motion.

4. How does centripetal force affect speed?

Centripetal force does not directly affect speed. However, it is necessary for an object to maintain a constant speed in a circular path, as it continuously changes direction due to the centripetal force acting on it.

5. Can an object move at a constant speed in a circular path without centripetal force?

No, an object cannot move at a constant speed in a circular path without centripetal force. The object would continue in a straight line without any force acting on it, as stated by Newton's first law of motion.