How do I know what science career is best for me?

In summary, the person is looking for advice on how to gain experience and hands-on learning in various fields of science before committing to a specific major in college. They have tried volunteering and sitting in on classes, but have not found success. Suggestions are given to enroll in a variety of introductory science courses at community college, to not be afraid of math, and to look into hobbies or part-time jobs related to science. It is recommended to make choices based on personal interests and experiences.
Crashdown
I was not able to finish high school and I am expecting to start college next year. I never got the chance to sit in a physics, chem, bio or any science department in high school. I've tried to volunteer at the Virginia Science Museum and even hospitals but they never needed help. Teachers at my local community college are not trying to assist me either when I asked to sit in. All I have to go by are tv shows on Nat. Geo. Discovery etc. I read things online also when i can.

I don't know what to do. I like just about EVERYTHING in science. The only real way to exclude stuff is to note I am not good in math at all and I DO NOT want to be a teacher at all. Any suggestions? How can I get experience or some hands on before spending money and finding out it is not for me AFTER the fact? I think I like geology, biology and physics but without experience I have no idea if it is really for me or now.

I am one of those people who are ALWAYS reading those "little known facts" and I honestly think I would be bored or distracted if I had to stay in only one field of science for a long period of time. I love finding about how everything works, how they work around us and how we understand them. Every time I think I have found something I like by the next week it is something else and it's just constant flip flopping. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Crashdown,
Community college is the way to start. Enroll in a variety of introductory level science courses during your first two years. Doing that will help but it is not enough. Whatever major field you choose, you MUST learn some Mathematics. Several semesters might be necessary to finish the minimum courses in Math, but DO IT! Worrying that you might not be very good at Mathematics is not productive to do. Just study at your level religiously until you at least finish the mathematics courses you need.

You could find scientific or technical activities if you keep trying and know more resources. Are you interested in making bread, yoghurt, beer, wine, cheese? These are possible home-based hobbies related to microbiology, health, and food technology. These hobbies can become very sophisticated. Maybe you may find a beer & wine making supply shop near you. Do you live near an archaeological or paleontological investigative site, maybe associated with a museum? Maybe they can use volunteers. You said you tried a state museum which had no need, but maybe there are others.

Sometimes, a science department at a community college would hire one or two assistants who were excellent students in a few courses from their department; maybe for the person to clerk in a stockroom, or give tutorial help, or to give instructional assistance in lab class sections.

Do you keep or want to keep fish as pets? You could learn to pay attention to a few details of water quality, a bit of basic Chemistry, zoology; maybe you might find a part time job in a pet shop.

Regional Occupational Program in your area? You could enter a course to orient you to medical occupations and through this, get some health-care related training and experience. This might even lead to employment as nurse assistant, or records clerk.

Just begin at the community college for your education and make choices based on what you feel as you go.

First of all, it's great that you have a passion for science and are interested in exploring different fields within it. As you mentioned, it can be difficult to determine which specific science career is best for you without hands-on experience or exposure to different areas of science. Here are some suggestions that may help you in your decision-making process:

1. Take advantage of online resources and courses: With the internet, there are now many online resources and courses available that can give you a taste of different scientific fields. You can also participate in online forums and discussions to learn more about different careers and ask questions to people who are already working in those fields.

2. Attend science fairs and conferences: Science fairs and conferences are great opportunities to learn about different fields of science and network with professionals. You can also attend talks and workshops to gain more insight into specific careers and ask questions to experts in the field.

3. Volunteer or intern: While it may have been difficult for you to find volunteer opportunities in the past, keep trying and reach out to different organizations. You can also consider internships, which can give you hands-on experience and help you determine if a particular field is a good fit for you.

4. Talk to professionals: Reach out to professionals in different scientific fields and ask if you can shadow them or have informational interviews. This will give you a better understanding of their day-to-day work and help you determine if it aligns with your interests and skills.

5. Consider taking introductory courses: If you are able to, consider taking introductory courses in different fields of science at your community college. This will give you a taste of what each field entails and help you make a more informed decision.

Remember, it's okay to not have a clear direction at this moment. Many people switch careers multiple times in their lives, and it's perfectly normal to explore different options before finding the right fit. Keep an open mind, continue to learn and gain experience, and trust that you will eventually find a career that aligns with your interests and strengths. Good luck!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a science career?

When choosing a science career, you should consider your interests, skills, and values. Think about what subjects you enjoy studying and what activities you excel at. You should also consider your personal values and how they align with different science fields. Additionally, think about job availability, salary potential, and work-life balance.

2. Do I need to have a specific degree to pursue a career in science?

It depends on the specific career you are interested in. Some science careers, such as medical doctors or engineers, require specific degrees and certifications. However, many science careers have more flexibility in terms of degree requirements. It is important to research the job requirements for your desired career to determine if a specific degree is needed.

3. How can I gain experience in different science fields?

There are several ways to gain experience in different science fields. You can volunteer at research labs, participate in internships, attend conferences and workshops, or take on independent research projects. These experiences will not only give you a better understanding of different science fields, but also help you build a strong resume for future job opportunities.

4. Should I focus on a specific science field or keep my options open?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and career goals. Some people prefer to focus on a specific science field to become an expert in that area, while others prefer to keep their options open and explore different fields. It is important to research and understand the potential career opportunities and growth in your desired science field before making a decision.

5. How can I determine if a science career is right for me?

The best way to determine if a science career is right for you is to gain hands-on experience and do some self-reflection. Participate in internships or volunteer opportunities to get a feel for the day-to-day work in your desired career. Additionally, think about your long-term career goals and if the science field aligns with them. It is also helpful to talk to professionals in the field and ask them about their experiences and advice.