Potential of an infinite line of charge

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential at a distance from an infinitely long wire carrying a uniform line charge. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation V=kq/r, but it is not applicable in this situation. Other methods, such as using Gauss' law or solving Laplace's equation, are suggested to find the potential. It is also mentioned that the potential field can be expressed as V = -\frac{\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon_o} ln(r). Finally, it is suggested to integrate the electric field to find the potential.
th5418

Homework Statement

Find a potential a distance r from an infinitely long straight wire that carries a uniform line charge [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Compute the gradient of your potential and check that it yields the correct field.

Homework Equations

[tex]V=[/tex][tex]\frac{KQ}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\oint E \bullet dS=\frac{Q}{episolon}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing it the V=kq/r way, but then I realized it doesn't work, since for that it assumes that potential is zero infinitely far away. But it isn't. The problem doesn't want me to find the e-field first, which would be a lot easier, any tips?

Do i need to go to the most basic definition of potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
V=kq/r gives the potential of a point charge.

For a continuous linear charge distribution,

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac{\lambda(\textbf{r}')dl'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}[/tex]

Hm, yeah I got that.
This is what I have right now.

[tex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda dx}{\sqrt{r^{2}+x^{2}}}[/tex]

But the integral blows up when I integrate from negative to positive infinity.

th5418 said:
But the integral blows up when I integrate from negative to positive infinity.

Yes, I suppose it does.

So, you can either compute the field first using Gauss' law and then find the potential using

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=-\int_{\mathcal{O}}^{\textbf{r}}\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{l}[/tex]

Or, if you aren't allowed to do that, use separation of variables to solve Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates.

I can do that? Please advise on that second part.

This is using [tex]\nabla^{2} V = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]??

th5418 said:
I can do that? Please advise on that second part.

This is using [tex]\nabla^{2} V = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]??

Yes (sorry , I meant Poisson's equation, not Laplace's), based on symmetry, what variables would you expect [itex]V[/itex] to depend on? The distance from the axis? The axial coordinate? The azimuthal coordinate? You can use that to express [itex]\nabla^2V[/itex] in terms of ordinary derivatives, giving you a second order ODE to solve.

That's out of the league of the class. I could do it though...

I know the potential field is suppose to be...

[tex]V = -\frac{\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon_o} ln(r)[/tex]

Is there any other way to solve this? I've exhausted all possibilities.

QUESTION:
For the
[tex]V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]
does that assume that potential is 0 [tex]\infty[/tex] far away?

Last edited:
th5418 said:
That's out of the league of the class. I could do it though...

I know the potential field is suppose to be...

[tex]V = \frac{\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon_o} ln(r)[/tex]

Is there any other way to solve this? I've exhausted all possibilities.

If you haven't been taught this method yet, then I would guess you are expected to first calculate the electric field and then integrate...the question doesn't explicitly tell you not to do that does it?

QUESTION:
For the
[tex]V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]
does that assume that potential is 0 [tex]\infty[/tex] far away?

Yes,

[tex]V(\textbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac{\lambda(\textbf{r}')dl'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}[/tex]

is a solution (in integral form) of Poisson's equation, subject to the boundary condition [itex]V\to 0[/itex] at [itex]|\textbf{r}|\to \infty[/itex].

Well, I'm just going to go to the professor's office hour, thanks though!

What is the concept of an infinite line of charge?

An infinite line of charge is a theoretical concept in physics that represents an infinite number of electric charges lined up in a straight line. It is used to simplify calculations in electrostatics and is often studied in relation to other charge distributions.

How does the electric field of an infinite line of charge behave?

The electric field of an infinite line of charge is uniform in magnitude and direction. This means that the electric field strength is the same at any point along the line and points away from the line. It also follows an inverse relationship with distance from the line, meaning that it decreases as the distance from the line increases.

What is the mathematical expression for the electric field of an infinite line of charge?

The electric field of an infinite line of charge is given by the expression E = λ / (2πε0r), where λ is the linear charge density (charge per unit length), ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the line of charge.

How does the potential of an infinite line of charge vary with distance?

The potential of an infinite line of charge follows a logarithmic relationship with distance. This means that as the distance from the line increases, the potential decreases, but at a slower rate. Mathematically, it is expressed as V = -λln(r) / (2πε0), where V is the potential and r is the distance from the line of charge.

Can the potential of an infinite line of charge ever be zero?

No, the potential of an infinite line of charge can never be zero. This is because the logarithmic function approaches zero as the distance increases, but never reaches it. Therefore, the potential of an infinite line of charge is always negative and decreases as the distance from the line increases.