Cascading Op Amp: Practical Experience Needed

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for practical experience with cascading video amplifiers like NE592 or LM733 to achieve wide bandwidth and high gain. They are concerned about the potential noise and oscillation issues and are looking for advice on how to avoid them. Their target specifications are a bandwidth of at least 10 MHz and a gain of at least 10^^6. They are specifically interested in whether anyone has tested cascading 3 or more amplifiers.
Ravaner
Hello. I'm looking for someone having practical experience of cascading video amp like NE592 or LM733 in order to get wide bandwidth and huge gain.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ravaner said:
Hello. I'm looking for someone having practical experience of cascading video amp like NE592 or LM733 in order to get wide bandwidth and huge gain.

With huge gain can come huge noise. What is the application? What are your target specs?

berkeman said:
With huge gain can come huge noise. What is the application? What are your target specs?

And with huge gain and wide bandwidth can come oscillations.

Hi. I know that for noise and possible oscillations. My target is BW >= 10 MHz, Av >= 10^^6. I already saw with 2 Ic's cascaded, and I just want to know if someone has really tested with 3 or more pcs.

Ravaner said:
Hi. I know that for noise and possible oscillations. My target is BW >= 10 MHz, Av >= 10^^6. I already saw with 2 Ic's cascaded, and I just want to know if someone has really tested with 3 or more pcs.

What's "3 or more pcs"? And if you "know" about the feedback oscillation issue, what is your plan to avoid the oscillations?

1. What is a cascading op amp?

A cascading op amp is a circuit configuration where two or more op amps are connected in series to achieve higher gain or other desired characteristics.

2. What are the benefits of using a cascading op amp?

The main benefit of using a cascading op amp is the ability to achieve higher gain than a single op amp can provide. It also allows for improved linearity and reduced output impedance.

3. What are some practical applications of cascading op amps?

Cascading op amps are commonly used in audio amplifiers, signal conditioning circuits, and active filters. They are also used in instrumentation and control systems.

4. What are some challenges when working with cascading op amps?

One challenge is ensuring stability, as the overall circuit can become more sensitive to external noise and disturbances. Designing for proper frequency response and avoiding oscillations can also be a challenge.

5. How can I gain practical experience with cascading op amps?

One way to gain practical experience is to build and test circuits using cascading op amps. You can also study and analyze existing designs, and simulate circuits using software tools. Additionally, attending workshops or joining online communities can provide opportunities to learn from experienced engineers and exchange knowledge with others.