How do I turn my email address into an image?

In summary: There are a couple of ways to obfuscate it if that's what you're looking for, but both have their drawbacks. In summary, the easiest way to protect yourself from spam is to use a picture based email address instead of plain text.
inna valler
I started to receive a lot of spam recently from my computer site and a friend suggested me that is because I have my email address listed in plain text on my contact page, and that I should turn it into an image instead. How do I turn my email address into an image?

Computer science news on Phys.org

A common trick that people use is to put something like NO.SPAM.name@address.com so that the bots pick up an incorrect address and humans generally know what to do with it.

someone suggested me a better way, I placed a contact form from www.contactmeform.com[/URL] instead it was completely free.

Last edited by a moderator:

inna valler said:
I started to receive a lot of spam recently from my computer site and a friend suggested me that is because I have my email address listed in plain text on my contact page, and that I should turn it into an image instead. How do I turn my email address into an image?

The simplest thing would be to use the Print Screen button while you have your address displayed. That will put it in your clipboard so that you can paste it into MSPaint or something like that. Crop the image to size and save it. The default .bmp type file in Microsoft Paint are larger than .gif or .jpg files so, I would save it as one of those instead.

Borg said:
The simplest thing would be to use the Print Screen button while you have your address displayed. That will put it in your clipboard so that you can paste it into MSPaint or something like that. Crop the image to size and save it. The default .bmp type file in Microsoft Paint are larger than .gif or .jpg files so, I would save it as one of those instead.

The even simpler way of doing it is to type your e-mail address in Paint (using the text tool), crop as you see fit, and then save it with whatever image extension you'd prefer (.JPG, .GIF, stay away from .BMP because it produces large file sizes)

There are also obfuscatory methods that 'hides' the plain text behind ASCII codes and Javascript, but I don't know their efficacy, or whether Spammers have figured out ways around that (Google for e-mail obfuscator). For instance:
http://www.albionresearch.com/misc/obfuscator.php

MATLABdude said:
The even simpler way of doing it is to type your e-mail address in Paint (using the text tool), crop as you see fit, and then save it with whatever image extension you'd prefer (.JPG, .GIF, stay away from .BMP because it produces large file sizes)

Yes, that's simpler. I forgot that you could type in there. :smile:
Definitely stay away from .bmp.

inna valler said:

Milk has already been spilled - at this point your address is obviously already listed in spammers email databases so changing it to picture won't help much.

1. How do I turn my email address into an image?

There are several ways to turn your email address into an image. One way is to use an online email signature generator that allows you to customize and download your signature as an image. Another way is to use photo editing software, such as Photoshop, to create an image with your email address.

2. Why would I want to turn my email address into an image?

Turning your email address into an image can add a visual element to your email signature, making it more eye-catching and professional. It can also prevent your email address from being picked up by spam bots and reduce the amount of spam in your inbox.

3. Is it safe to turn my email address into an image?

Yes, it is generally safe to turn your email address into an image. However, it is important to ensure that the image is not easily readable by bots, as this could potentially expose your email address to spam. Use a secure and reputable method, such as an online email signature generator, to create your image.

4. Can I customize the design of my email address image?

Yes, you can customize the design of your email address image to fit your personal or brand aesthetic. Online email signature generators often offer a variety of design options, such as font styles, colors, and background images. If using photo editing software, you have complete control over the design of your image.

5. Can I use my email address image on any email platform?

It is recommended to test your email address image on the specific email platform you will be using. While most email platforms support images in signatures, some may not display them properly. Additionally, some platforms may have size limitations for email signatures, so make sure your image fits within those guidelines.