Projectile Motion (Ball thrown against a Wall)

In summary, the ball hits the wall at an angle of 37.0° and has a horizontal velocity of 19.1673 m/s.
TheSnacks

Homework Statement

You throw a ball toward a wall at speed 24.0 m/s and at angle θ0 = 37.0° above the horizontal. The wall is distance d = 20.0 m from the release point of the ball. (a) How far above the release point does the ball hit the wall? What are the (b) horizontal and (c) vertical components of its velocity as it hits the wall?

Homework Equations

Vox = Vo cos 37,

Voy = Vo sin 37,

y = Voy(t) - (1/2)g(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer for (b) because I just said Vx= 24cos(37), which came out to be 19.1673. The homework is on the computer, so it let me know I was right. I tried to do the same thing for Vy, but using sine and it says I am incorrect.

to get the height as it hits the wall, I figure I could use the equation given to solve for y and get the answer. But I need to figure out Voy first. And I figure that time could just be .833333 seconds because 20m/24(m/s) should give me time, right?

Any help would be great. I must just be looking at the problem wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheSnacks said:
I got the answer for (b) because I just said Vx= 24cos(37), which came out to be 19.1673. The homework is on the computer, so it let me know I was right. I tried to do the same thing for Vy, but using sine and it says I am incorrect.
Vy is a function of time; it's not constant like Vx. (You can find Voy that way though.) How does Vy depend on time?

to get the height as it hits the wall, I figure I could use the equation given to solve for y and get the answer. But I need to figure out Voy first.
Yes, so figure out Voy.
And I figure that time could just be .833333 seconds because 20m/24(m/s) should give me time, right?
Not exactly. What's the horizontal velocity?

Well if I try to find Voy out the same way, I get 14.4436. But that isn't correct. Vy depends on time because, as time passes, Vy gets smaller until it reaches 0 and starts to fall again.

Well, the horizontal velocity would be 19.16 then. Right? So that would make the time 1.04 seconds.

TheSnacks said:
Well if I try to find Voy out the same way, I get 14.4436. But that isn't correct. Vy depends on time because, as time passes, Vy gets smaller until it reaches 0 and starts to fall again.

Your vyo of 14.4436 m/s is correct. So use that plus your t= 1.04 to find vy and y.

I am wondering why you are making the assumption that the ball hits the wall on the way down? If you find vy at time t, you will see that it is going much slower then when it was first release but it is still a positive number thus the ball hits the wall as it is still going up in its trajectory.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path that an object follows when it is thrown, shot, or launched into the air. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, influenced by gravity and initial velocity.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. These factors determine the shape and distance of the projectile's path.

3. How can we calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v2 sin 2θ) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the height of the wall affect the projectile's motion?

The height of the wall can affect the projectile's motion by determining its maximum height and the time it takes to reach that height. A higher wall will result in a longer flight time and a greater angle of descent for the projectile.

5. Can you explain why the horizontal velocity remains constant in projectile motion?

The horizontal velocity remains constant in projectile motion because there is no external force acting on the object in the horizontal direction. This means that the horizontal component of the initial velocity will remain constant throughout the motion, resulting in a straight line path.