HELP Calculating temperature change over time

In summary, the conversation discusses predicting the temperature change over time of water that is being heated by a constant heating source. The goal is to achieve a certain end temperature for a given duration by changing the masses and surface areas of the insulator, ice, and cold water. One possible approach is to model each component as a thermal resistor and use heat transfer equations to formulate linear equations for finding the temperatures. However, finding the temperature as a function of time may be more challenging.
Fancy Moses
If I have a heating source that gives off constant single temperature heat which heats a mass of insulator, next to a mass of ice, next to a mass of cold water - how do I predict through calculation the temperature change over time of the water? I know the original temperatures, surface area, thickness of each mass, and the given temperature of the heating source (which is constant). Overall the goal is to change the masses/surface areas to achieve a certain end temperature for a given duration.

If you have any ideas it would be a real help!

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Any response would be nice... anyone with some good background in thermodynamics possibly. Perhaps a "It's quite difficult to do" or "Here's where to start"

Anybody?

Do a google on "thermal resistances". You can model each piece or block as a resistor. You can then place them in parallel and find the total heat flux. The heat flux through any single piece is then equal to the total via continuity. You can find temperatures that way.

If you want it as a function of time though...it will be substantially more difficult.

Hi Fancy Moses,
You should start by making a neat sketch. Then assume a one dimensional(depends on the problem) heat flux, use heat transfer equations to formulate the linear equations, solve the linear equations.

Mind the bold text.

Thanks for the help!

1. How do I calculate temperature change over time?

To calculate temperature change over time, you will need to know the initial temperature and the final temperature. Then, you can use the formula: temperature change = final temperature - initial temperature. This will give you the change in temperature over the specific time period.

2. What units should I use to measure temperature change?

The most commonly used units for measuring temperature change are degrees Celsius (°C) or degrees Fahrenheit (°F). However, you can also use Kelvin (K) if you are working with extremely low temperatures.

3. Can I use this calculation for any type of substance?

Yes, the formula for calculating temperature change over time can be used for any substance, as long as you have the initial and final temperature values. However, keep in mind that different substances have different specific heat capacities, which may affect the rate of temperature change.

4. Is there a specific time period that I should use for this calculation?

The time period you use for this calculation will depend on the specific situation or experiment you are conducting. It could be seconds, minutes, hours, or even days. Just make sure to keep the time unit consistent throughout the calculation.

5. How accurate is this calculation for predicting changes in temperature over time?

The accuracy of this calculation will depend on several factors such as the precision of your initial and final temperature measurements, the specific heat capacity of the substance, and any external factors that may affect temperature change. It is always best to conduct multiple trials and take an average to increase accuracy.