What is the best programming language for building a 2D pathfinding robot?

In summary, the conversation is about building a 2D pathfinding robot and the person is seeking suggestions for a programming language to use. They have experience in a few languages but are open to trying new ones. There is also a discussion about the hardware and operating system for the robot, with the suggestion to use a laptop inside if it is a large size. The person expresses interest in using Python and has used it before. They also mention their experience with controlling motors using qbasic but express interest in learning Python or C++. The conversation ends with a wish for good luck and a suggestion to use a computer CPU for more options.
golmschenk
Hello. I'm thinking about building a 2D pathfinding robot. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to suggest a programming language. I have experience in a few, but I also like trying new ones so I'm open to anything. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of hardware\operating system will the robot be running?

it will depend on what hardware you use for control. It's best to choose what control system you are going to use before you choose a programming language.

Haha, um... no clue yet. I've only got the plans in the making. No hardware has been decided on. Speaking of which then, is there recommendations for that? I'd like to build neither a small nor extremely large one, but it will be fairly large. I actually wanted to model it after and be the size of K-9 from Doctor Who. So I guess recommendations on both the hardware and program language? I was thinking I'd like to try python. I've used python a bit and I really enjoyed it, and I'd like to use it a bit more.

If it's that big you can just put a laptop inside. Then you can use any language you want.

golmschenk said:
Haha, um... no clue yet. I've only got the plans in the making. No hardware has been decided on. Speaking of which then, is there recommendations for that? I'd like to build neither a small nor extremely large one, but it will be fairly large. I actually wanted to model it after and be the size of K-9 from Doctor Who. So I guess recommendations on both the hardware and program language? I was thinking I'd like to try python. I've used python a bit and I really enjoyed it, and I'd like to use it a bit more.

I have fooled around a bit with controlling motors, etc but I've only ever know qbasic. (haha, I know). The truth is, I've never personally ran into a situation that a nice easy qbasic program could not handle. Most controller I use are rather primitive, using serial connectors so you can control them from almost any language very easily.
I'd LOVE to learn python, or C++, but I can never seem to wrap my head around them.

Good luck!

PS, X2 on using an actual computer CPU, this leaves options open and almost limitless.

1. What is Robot Programming Language?

Robot Programming Language (RPL) is a specialized programming language used to control and program robots. It is designed to be easily understandable and adaptable for both novice and experienced programmers.

2. What are the benefits of using Robot Programming Language?

RPL allows for precise and efficient control of robots, making it ideal for complex tasks and automation. It also provides a user-friendly interface and simplified syntax, making it accessible for a wide range of users.

3. What are the different types of Robot Programming Language?

There are several types of Robot Programming Language, including high-level languages like Python and Java, and specialized languages like RobotC and NXT-G. Each language has its own unique features and benefits.

4. Can I use Robot Programming Language to program any type of robot?

RPL is designed to be versatile and can be used to program a wide range of robots, including industrial robots, autonomous vehicles, and educational robots. However, some robots may require specific programming languages or interfaces.

5. Do I need to have a background in programming to use Robot Programming Language?

While having a basic understanding of programming concepts can be helpful, RPL is designed to be user-friendly and accessible to those with little to no programming experience. Many RPL platforms also provide resources and tutorials to help beginners get started.