Projectile motion with drag and lift

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solving a projectile motion problem with given variables, including initial velocity, launch angles, and gravity. The speaker also mentions having tabulated data for lift and drag forces at different wind speeds and angles of attack. They attempted to use this data to calculate the lift and drag coefficients, but the results did not align with the ideal equations for projectile motion. The conversation ends with a question about why the calculated values do not match the actual values.
Simms16
I obtained lift and drag forces for an object I was testing in a wind tunnel and I wanted to know if it was possible to do a projectile motion problem with the following variables;
I know the initial velocity of the object, V=76m/s, the possible launch angles = 30, 45, or 60 degrees, and gravity = 9.81m/s^2.

-I also have tabulated data of the lift and drag forces on the object at 3 different wind speeds (80, 130, 170 mph) while varying the angle of attack (AOA) from -10 to 30 degrees.
I took the three drag values at 0 degrees AOA and found a linear relationship between the wind speed and drag values. I used that relationship and subtracted drag off of the ideal equations of distance and height of projectile motion and the values I got don't make sense. Is there another way I can do this or am I missing some important information to solve this problem

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ideal case#
Ax = 0
Ay = -g

Practical Case#
Ax = -Drag/mass
Drag = -Cd.(Area.rho.V^2)/2

Ay = -g + lift/mass
Lift = -Cl.(Area.rho.V^2)/2

You have the data, calculate Cl & Cd at the data points, interpolate to get Cl & Cd in terms of V, integrate twice the acceleration term to get the distance.

Note: The actual & calculated value still won't match. Can you guess why?

Last edited:

I would first commend you for conducting a thorough experiment and gathering data on the lift and drag forces of your object in a wind tunnel. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of the object in projectile motion.

In order to accurately calculate the trajectory of an object in projectile motion with drag and lift forces, you will need to consider the following factors: initial velocity, launch angle, gravity, and the lift and drag forces acting on the object. It seems that you have all of these variables except for the angle of attack (AOA) at different wind speeds. This information is important because the lift and drag forces will vary depending on the AOA and wind speed.

Additionally, it is important to note that the equations for projectile motion assume a constant drag force, which may not be the case in your experiment as you have found a linear relationship between wind speed and drag. This means that your drag force will change as the wind speed changes, and this may affect the trajectory of the object.

One way to approach this problem would be to use the tabulated data of lift and drag forces at different wind speeds and angles of attack to create a model that takes into account the changing drag force. This model can then be used to calculate the trajectory of the object at different launch angles and wind speeds.

In conclusion, to accurately solve this problem, you will need to consider the angle of attack at different wind speeds and develop a model that takes into account the changing drag force. I suggest further experimentation to gather more data on the AOA and wind speed relationship, which will help in creating a more accurate model for your object's trajectory.

1. What is projectile motion with drag and lift?

Projectile motion with drag and lift is the study of the motion of an object that is launched into the air and experiences the forces of drag and lift as it moves through the air.

2. What is the difference between drag and lift?

Drag is the force that acts against the motion of the object and is caused by the friction between the object and the air. Lift is the force that acts perpendicular to the direction of motion and is caused by the shape of the object and the air moving past it.

3. How do drag and lift affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Drag and lift can change the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering the direction of its motion. As the object moves through the air, drag will cause it to lose speed and lift can cause it to change direction and potentially curve its path.

4. What factors influence the amount of drag and lift experienced by a projectile?

The amount of drag and lift experienced by a projectile can be influenced by various factors such as the shape and size of the object, the speed and angle at which it is launched, the density of the air, and the presence of any external forces such as wind.

5. What are some real-world applications of projectile motion with drag and lift?

Projectile motion with drag and lift is important in many fields, including sports, engineering, and physics. For example, it can help engineers design airplanes and rockets, and it can also be used to predict the trajectory of a baseball or golf ball. Understanding these principles can also aid in predicting the paths of objects in space or during natural disasters such as hurricanes.