Is a Secret Knock Detecting Lock the Ultimate Clubhouse Accessory?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lock
In summary, the conversation discusses various strategies and techniques for maintaining security in different scenarios. The speakers share their experiences with different locks and security systems, pointing out potential weaknesses and suggesting solutions. They also touch on the importance of protecting one's belongings and the creativity involved in creating secure systems.
How great would this be for a club house :tongue2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE5PGeh2K9k

Engineering news on Phys.org
As a former professional locksmith, I think that the base technology is very cool. From a security standpoint, however, it is far too susceptible to spy-hacking. Once someone realizes that the lock is sonically activated, it will never be secure after one use. Having to change the code every time that it's opened sort of defeats the purpose of convenience.

Neat!

When I was in college around 1970, the school required people to follow procedures during vacations. One thing that campus security would do (I knew people on staff) is to select students' rooms and toss them, since they had master keys for every floor of every dorm. I made a neat work-around. I bent a coat-hanger so that it would fit around the inside of the door-knob, and had a narrow V of wire that pressed against the locking button. From that apparatus, I hung a long piece of nylon string and laid it on the floor inside the room. There was no way that you could use a key to open that lock, due to the pressure from the coat-hanger on the button. To open the door, you'd have to twist a couple of open coat-hangars together, slide that long contraption under the door, fish out the string, and pull on the string to pop the coat-hanger off the knob on the inside. Then the key would turn easily. Room didn't get tossed, nothing turned up "missing" with no recourse.

That is one of the sneakiest, most appealing things that I've ever heard of, Turbo. Hats off to you.

Danger said:
That is one of the sneakiest, most appealing things that I've ever heard of, Turbo. Hats off to you.
Thanks. Everything I owned was in that room, and I didn't want to get robbed, especially in an inside job. I financed a lot of my college expenses by buying and selling guitars, amplifiers, etc, and I couldn't afford to lose my stock to some creep with a master key and no ethics.

You might then appreciate the first security system that I came up with, way back in the near-Detroit days before I ever thought of becoming a locksmith. I don't want to go into details due to the nature of this forum, but leave it suffice to be said that it involved a steel-wool welcome mat, a brass doorknob, and an 280 A arc welder. :biggrin:

Danger said:
You might then appreciate the first security system that I came up with, way back in the near-Detroit days before I ever thought of becoming a locksmith. I don't want to go into details due to the nature of this forum, but leave it suffice to be said that it involved a steel-wool welcome mat, a brass doorknob, and an 280 A arc welder. :biggrin:
Eek!

Danger said:

it also had a built in siren that sounded suspicously like some one screaming bloody murder. and probably smelled and sounded like bacon frying
jezzz, it hurts just thinking about that

dr

dr dodge said:
it also had a built in siren that sounded suspicously like some one screaming bloody murder.

Yeah... it doubled quite well as a doorbell...

1. What is a Secret Knock Detecting Lock?

A Secret Knock Detecting Lock is a type of lock that uses a specific sequence of knocks to unlock instead of a traditional key or combination. This technology relies on sensors to detect the unique vibrations and patterns of a specific knock sequence and unlocks the lock when the correct sequence is detected.

2. How does a Secret Knock Detecting Lock work?

A Secret Knock Detecting Lock works by using sensors to detect the specific vibrations and patterns of a pre-programmed knock sequence. The lock will only unlock when the correct sequence is detected, making it a secure and unique way to access a door or device.

3. Can anyone program a Secret Knock Detecting Lock?

No, not anyone can program a Secret Knock Detecting Lock. The owner of the lock must program the specific knock sequence that will unlock the lock. This ensures that only authorized individuals can access the lock.

4. What are the benefits of using a Secret Knock Detecting Lock?

Some benefits of using a Secret Knock Detecting Lock include increased security, as the lock can only be accessed with the correct knock sequence, and convenience, as there is no need to carry around a physical key.

5. Are Secret Knock Detecting Locks reliable?

Yes, Secret Knock Detecting Locks are reliable as long as the knock sequence is programmed correctly and the sensors are functioning properly. However, it is important to have a backup method of entry in case of any malfunctions or forgotten knock sequences.