Russia Launches First Flight of T-50 Stealth Fighter

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flight
In summary, Russia's first flight of the T-50 has surprised some as it appears to be a combination of the F-22 and Northrop F-23, with external wing skin fasteners, delineable access panels, and instrumentation vanes. However, it looks more like a mix of the YF-23 and Flanker, with a focus on maneuverability and payload over stealth. The question remains if the avionics and maintenance will be able to match Western standards.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Russia's new First Flight of the T-50

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_stealth_fighter

As someone who grew up in the time of the Soviet Block why am I surprised this looks like a combination of the F-22 and the Northrop F-23?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FredGarvin said:
Russia's new First Flight of the T-50

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_stealth_fighter

As someone who grew up in the time of the Soviet Block why am I surprised this looks like a combination of the F-22 and the Northrop F-23?

Hi, Fred.

I'm not quite sure as to who developed what planform when... Perhaps an historical review?

But really - external wing skin fasteners? Clearly delineable access panels? Instrumentation vanes?

Please...

I am shocked that the Russians might copy an American design. SHOCKED. :smile:

http://4.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ku0oeaFZgA1qa8vado1_400.jpg

FredGarvin said:

Looks more to me like offspring of YF-23 and Flanker than of F-22 and YF-23. But I don't know why should anyone be surprised, T-50 designers had to answer a lot of the same questions as Lockheed-Martin and Boeing designers. They've clearly sacrificed some of the stealthiness of US designs for better maneuverability and the bigger payload.

Question remains, whether avionics would be able to catch up to Western (it will probably come close, because it is no more dark art that it used to be 20 years ago), and whether the plane would be too complicated to maintain.

I am not surprised that the T-50 stealth fighter appears to have similarities to the F-22 and Northrop F-23. The development of military aircraft often involves incorporating successful features and designs from previous models. It is not uncommon for countries to borrow ideas and technologies from each other in order to improve their own capabilities. Additionally, the F-22 and F-23 have been highly successful stealth fighters, so it makes sense that Russia would want to incorporate similar features into their own aircraft. It will be interesting to see how the T-50 performs in comparison to these other stealth fighters and what unique capabilities it brings to the table.

What is the significance of Russia launching the T-50 Stealth Fighter?

The T-50 Stealth Fighter is a highly advanced aircraft that is designed to evade detection by radar. Its launch marks a major achievement for Russia's military technology and could potentially shift the balance of power in the region.

How does the T-50 compare to other stealth fighter jets?

The T-50 is often compared to the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor and the F-35 Lightning II, two of the most advanced stealth fighters in the world. While the T-50 shares similar features, it is also equipped with unique technologies that make it stand out among its competitors.

What are some of the features of the T-50 Stealth Fighter?

The T-50 boasts advanced avionics, a stealth design, and supercruise capabilities, allowing it to fly at supersonic speeds without using afterburners. It also has a high degree of maneuverability and can carry a wide range of weapons.

What impact will the T-50 have on Russian military capabilities?

The T-50 will significantly enhance Russia's air combat capabilities. Its stealth capabilities will make it difficult for enemy radar systems to detect, and its advanced weaponry and speed will make it a formidable opponent in combat situations.

What does the launch of the T-50 mean for global military competition?

The launch of the T-50 highlights Russia's continued efforts to modernize its military and compete with other major powers. It also serves as a reminder of the ongoing arms race and the importance of military technology in maintaining global power and influence.