Force exerted on one object by another

• Thread starter anti404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving three blocks with masses of 1.2kg, 2.3kg, and 3.1kg, respectively. The acceleration of the system is determined to be 6.36m/s^2 and the tension between the cord of block 1 and 3 is calculated to be 22.27N. The task is to find the force exerted by block 1 on block 2. The problem involves using Newton's Second Law, but the setup of the blocks and ropes is not fully explained. A diagram is provided for clarification.
anti404

Homework Statement

http://lon-capa.bsu.edu/res/brookscole/serway/College_Physics_7ed/serwaypictures/sf4_27.jpg

m1=1.2kg
m2=2.3kg
m3=3.1kg
a[of the system] determined to be = 6.36m/s^2
T[between the cord of 1-->3] determined to be =22.27N

Determine the force exerted by the number 1 block on the number 2 block.

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law, I imagine; sigma F = mass*acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

if the two were connected via a cable or something, I'd get how to do it; as stands, I'm not really sure. we've only went over this briefly, so I'm quite stumped.
any help would be appreciated, however!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A clearer explanation of the setup of all blocks, ropes, and pulleys would be helpful.

I put up an image showing it, but it isn't displaying, now.
I'll put it up again.
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9191/sf427.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

How is force measured?

Force is measured in units of Newtons (N). One Newton is defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

What factors affect the force exerted on an object?

The force exerted on an object can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the objects, the distance between them, and the strength of the force between them.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and weight is measured in Newtons (N).

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force on the first object.