Which Capacitor Range Should I Choose for My Motor: 88-108 MDF or 108-130 MDF?

In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of a motor-start capacitor for a motor requiring 108 MDF and the question of which range (88-108 MDF or 108-130 MDF) to purchase. The respondent suggests purchasing from www.digikey.com, but notes that their capacitors are more expensive and have a tolerance of +/- 25%.
vincemash
I have a motor that requires a 108 MDF - 110v start capacitor, I found them online at the following site:

http://www.phoenixphaseconverters.com/category.php?id_category=31

The question I have is should I be buying the 88-108 MDF or the 108-130 MDF capacitor.

What do the ranges mean? the motor specs out only 108 MDF

Thanks !

Vince

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
These 108 uF motor-start capacitors from www.digikey.com made by Cornell Dublier are a lot more expensive than the ones you are looking at.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=131081&k=capacitor%20motor%20start

Their tolerance is +/- 25%.

Bob S

1. What is a motor start capacitor?

A motor start capacitor is an electrical component that is used to temporarily increase the starting torque and speed of an electric motor. It is typically used in single-phase induction motors, such as those found in household appliances or power tools.

2. How does a motor start capacitor work?

A motor start capacitor works by storing electrical energy in an electrostatic field. When the motor is started, the capacitor releases this energy, providing an extra boost to the motor's starting torque and speed. Once the motor is up and running, the capacitor is no longer needed and is disconnected from the circuit.

3. What are the signs of a faulty motor start capacitor?

Some common signs of a faulty motor start capacitor include the motor struggling to start or not starting at all, a humming noise coming from the motor, or the motor running at a slower speed than usual. Other signs may include a burning smell or visible damage to the capacitor itself.

4. Can a motor start capacitor be replaced?

Yes, a motor start capacitor can be replaced if it is found to be faulty. However, it is important to make sure that the replacement capacitor has the same specifications as the original one. It is also recommended to have a professional electrician or technician replace the capacitor to ensure it is done correctly.

5. How do I choose the right motor start capacitor for my motor?

To choose the right motor start capacitor, you will need to know the voltage and capacitance requirements of your motor. This information can usually be found on the motor's nameplate. It is important to select a capacitor with the same voltage rating as your motor and a capacitance rating within 10% of the original capacitor's rating.