Solving for Spring Constant of Oscillating Spring

In summary, a 7.0 kg mass hung from a vertical spring with a period of 2.6s can be used to find the spring constant using the equations w = \sqrt{k/m}, w = 2pi * f, and f = 1/T. The final calculation results in a spring constant of 40.96.
Glorzifen

Homework Statement

A 7.0 kg mass is hung from the bottom end of a vertical spring fastened to the ceiling. The mass is set into veritcal oscillations with a period of 2.6s

Find the spring constant.

Homework Equations

w = [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]
w = 2pi * f
f = 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

f = 1/T
= 1/2.6
= 0.385 Hz
w = 2pi * 0.385
= 2.42
w = [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]
w = k/7
5.85 = k/7
k = 40.96

Feel like my math could be wrong at the end there. Overall though, is this how its to be done? I tried using F = -kx...ma = -kx but I didn't have an 'x'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that is how it should be done. Don't have a calculator to check your answers though.

There is some rounding inaccuracy but otherwise it is correct.

ehild

What is the equation for calculating the spring constant?

The equation for calculating the spring constant is k = -mg/x, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

How do I determine the spring constant experimentally?

To determine the spring constant experimentally, you will need to measure the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position for different masses attached to the spring. Then, plot a graph of the displacement versus the force applied, and the slope of the graph will be equal to the spring constant.

What is the unit of spring constant?

The unit of spring constant is newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI system of units.

Why is the spring constant important?

The spring constant is important because it determines the stiffness of a spring and how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring. It is also used in many mechanical and engineering applications, such as designing suspension systems and calculating the period of oscillation for a spring-mass system.

Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the shape of the spring, and the temperature. It can also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit.