Simple question about circulation integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a specific integral involving a circulation on a curve. The integral was calculated using a line integral of the tangential component of a vector field, but the possibility of using a line integral of a scalar field is also considered. The speaker believes that it is possible to calculate the integral using a scalar field and suggests parametrizing the curve to do so. The purpose of this question is to gain a better understanding of the theory behind the calculation.
nonequilibrium
Hello. I'm new to vector calculus and I had a question about the following integral:

[tex]\int_{C} x dy[/tex] please note that this is a circulation (I didn't know the tex-code for the little circle sign on the integral)

They calculated this integral (for a specific curve) with the use of a line integral of the tangential component of F (i.e. line integral of a vector field).

But I was wondering, can this be calculated with a line integral of a scalar field? For example if C is the circle with center the origin and radius 1. I suppose for being able to do it with a scalar field, you'd then have to find a parametrization so that ds = x(t) dy(t) right? Is this doable?

(The reason I ask it is not for practical use, but to understand the theory more -- why this can't be done with a scalar field, while it looks so easy)

Physics news on Phys.org
No reason it can't be done by a scalar field integration.
A usual basic integration of x as a function of y will also suffice ( this will of course require you to break C into curves which are functions and not to forget the direction of integration)

Otherwise there is no reason not to parametrize the curve with x(t) and y(t) and do the integration in terms of t.

Thank you!

1. What is a circulation integral?

A circulation integral is a mathematical concept used in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism to calculate the flow of a vector field around a closed curve. It represents the total flow of a vector field along a closed path or loop.

2. How is circulation integral different from line integral?

Circulation integral is a type of line integral, where the line of integration is a closed curve. Line integrals, on the other hand, can be calculated along any path, open or closed.

3. What is the physical significance of circulation integral?

Circulation integral is used to determine the circulation or flow of a vector field in a specific region. In fluid mechanics, it helps in understanding the movement of fluids around an object, while in electromagnetism, it helps in calculating the induced electric field around a closed loop.

4. What are the applications of circulation integral?

Circulation integral has various applications in science and engineering. In fluid dynamics, it helps in studying the lift and drag forces on an aerodynamic object. In electromagnetism, it is used to calculate the induced electric field and magnetic field around a closed loop. It is also used in the study of vortex motion and ocean currents.

5. How is circulation integral calculated?

The circulation integral can be calculated using the line integral formula, where the vector field is multiplied by the tangent vector of the curve and integrated over the closed path. It can also be calculated using Stokes' theorem, which relates the circulation integral to the surface integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.