If you know the wavelength of light emitted by a laser how can you know

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between two lasing energy levels and how it is related to the wavelength and emitted photon energy. The equations n(lambda) = 2(pi)r, E = hf, and mvr = n(h-bar) are mentioned, along with the concept of lasing energy levels and how they are equivalent to the energy of the emitted photon. The person asking the question is confused about the terminology but is able to understand the concept with the help of the expert.
kashiark

Homework Statement

How can you know "the difference between the two lasing energy levels?"

Homework Equations

n(lambda) = 2(pi)r
E = hf
mvr = n(h-bar)

The Attempt at a Solution

no clue

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that E = hf. How is the the frequency related to the wavelength?

I know how to find the energy of the given wavelength, but how do I find the other lasing energy level? What is a lasing energy anyway, and why are there 2?

You are looking for the difference between energy levels. How is the difference related to the emitted photon energy?

If u r talking abt 2 levels laser, then the emitted photon energy is the same as the difference between th two lasing levels

The two are equivalent; so the lasing energy levels are just the levels that the electrons jump to release the photon?

Yup.

That's simple enough; I was just confused over the terminology; thanks!

1. How can I determine the frequency of a laser if I know its wavelength?

The frequency of a laser can be determined by dividing the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s) by the wavelength of the laser. This will give you the number of waves that pass through a given point in one second, which is the definition of frequency.

2. Is there a relationship between wavelength and energy for a laser?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between wavelength and energy for a laser. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy of the laser. This is because shorter wavelengths have a higher frequency, which means the light waves are oscillating at a faster rate and carrying more energy.

3. How does the wavelength of a laser affect its color?

The wavelength of a laser determines its color. The visible spectrum of light ranges from approximately 400 nanometers (nm) for violet light to 700 nm for red light. A laser with a shorter wavelength, such as blue or violet, will appear blue or violet in color, while a laser with a longer wavelength, such as red, will appear red in color.

4. Can the wavelength of a laser be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of a laser can be changed. This can be done by adjusting the properties of the laser, such as its gain medium or cavity length. In some cases, a laser can also be designed to emit multiple wavelengths simultaneously.

5. How does the wavelength of a laser affect its precision and accuracy?

The wavelength of a laser plays a crucial role in its precision and accuracy. This is because the shorter the wavelength, the smaller the beam's point of focus will be. This allows for more precise and accurate targeting of a specific area. However, factors such as beam quality and stability also play a role in the overall precision and accuracy of a laser.