What industries could benefit from my physics PhD and technical skills?

• Thread starter Iforgot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary: I would do a postdoc if I knew that my employer had connections in industry."This is a great point. Make sure you inquire about the possibility of doing a postdoc with your prospective employer and see what their plans are for you.
Iforgot
I am defending my PhD thesis in Physics in May.

While I've done some solid work that has pleased my advisor and collaborators, I feel that academia is too "cut throat" for me.

I'm looking to transition into industrial research/development/engineering. I find the idea of making things that directly benefit people to be motivating. Is there any general way to go about transitioning into industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply :smile:! I recommend finding labs in industry that you might be interested in working with and seeing what they have available. See if you can get in contact with anyone to ask about the type of work they do. It's easy enough to find major research centers online, like: http://ge.geglobalresearch.com/careers/niskayuna-ny-usa/working-here/.

Not all opportunities will be located in R&D departments, so you can expand your search to engineering departments or smaller companies or whatever you're interested in. Companies in finance and other industries may also be interested in your skills.

Make sure you tweak your resume and do all of the proper networking for industry jobs. Online applications are usually black holes. You probably want to work with career services at your school and with any industry contacts you have or make.

I am concerned that you are graduating in a month and have not made any plans (as far as your post indicates). Personally, it has historically taken (on average) a year for me to find a job, from the time I started looking for one.

What skills do you have that someone else would pay you for?

Thanks for the link!
I see some jobs I think I'm pretty qualified for. You say "Do all the proper networking" like it's something I ought to know how to do. Neither my advisor nor collaborators are well connected out side our small subfield, and I realized a little too late that I should have been more proactive in meeting people. I've contacted people out of the blue, but my "charm skills"... Let's just say you can only expect so much from a physicist. I've read some books on networking, but I feel like I'm either coming off too pushy, or not pushy enough.

Andy Resnick: I've been looking on and off for a year. If I want a postdoc in my field, I don't think finding on would be a problem. However, I think my field is dying... We have had one post doc in our lab, and don't think he was able to find a job afterward. In short, a post doc in my field would be career ender. I would do a postdoc if I knew that my employer had connections in industry.

"What skills do you have that someone else would pay you for?"
I have 6 years experience with UHV equipment, equipment in a typical clean room, signal processing, programming/coding/scripting in about 8 languages. There's more, but I feel weird posting my resume on a thread.

1. What are the key differences between working in academia and industry?

The key differences between working in academia and industry include the focus of research, work environment, and career advancement opportunities. In academia, research tends to be more theoretical and long-term, while in industry it is more applied and driven by market demands. Work environment in academia is often more flexible and focused on collaboration, while in industry it can be more structured and competitive. Additionally, career advancement in academia is largely based on publication and academic achievements, while in industry it is based on performance and project success.

2. How can I prepare myself for a transition to industry?

To prepare for a transition to industry, it is important to gain relevant skills and experience through internships, industry collaborations, or projects. Developing a strong network and keeping up-to-date with industry trends and technologies can also be beneficial. It may also be helpful to tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight skills and experiences that are relevant to the industry job you are applying for.

3. What types of positions are available in industry for scientists?

There are a variety of positions available in industry for scientists, such as research and development, quality control, regulatory affairs, project management, and sales and marketing. These positions can be found in various industries including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, and consumer products.

4. How do I find job opportunities in industry?

There are several ways to find job opportunities in industry. Networking and attending industry events can help you learn about potential job openings. You can also search for job postings on company websites, job search engines, and professional networking sites like LinkedIn. Additionally, working with a recruiter who specializes in placing scientists in industry positions can be helpful.

5. How can I ensure a successful transition to industry?

To ensure a successful transition to industry, it is important to have a clear understanding of your career goals and interests. Conducting thorough research on the company and position you are applying for can also help you prepare for interviews and make a good impression. Additionally, having a positive attitude, being adaptable, and continuously learning and developing new skills can help you thrive in your new industry role.