How long can you work as an engineer ?

In summary: There are many resources available to help you. In summary, engineers who are in their early or mid-50s usually don't have to worry about their age as much as others do. However, it is still important to keep learning and advancing through experience in order to stay current on new developments.
a_man
I heard that engineering such as software or electrical demands younger age and older one gets fired around 50... .

The reason is that th techology and new programming develops rapidly; therefore, old ppl tend to go ad new ppl come often.

But I think civil enigineers can work longer if they are in government firm.

So my question is what is the general retirement age for each discipline of engineering ?

Physics news on Phys.org
a_man said:
I heard that engineering such as software or electrical demands younger age and older one gets fired around 50... .

The reason is that th techology and new programming develops rapidly; therefore, old ppl tend to go ad new ppl come often.

So my question is what is the general retirement age for each discipline of engineering ?

I can't speak to Civil Engineering, but for EEs and certainly here in Silicon Valley, age makes basically no difference on its own. What matters is your intelligence, your experience, how well you work with others, and your level of contribution to your projects. At my current company, we have a number of senior engineers over 50 (myself included), who are extremely valued contributors on their projects. You absolutely need to keep learning throughout your career (often on your own time), in order to stay current on new developments and technologies. But if you do that and work hard, getting some snow on the roof doesn't soften the fire that burns within. (Hey, that's poetic!)

a_man said:
My grandmother's retiring from a civil gig at a gov't agency this year; she's 72 and mostly retiring 'cause her boss is too and has been there for about 30 years. I think there are some guys older than her still there.

a_man said:
Strictly speaking this is highly illegal. It's called age discrimination. Not that this doesn't happen; high tech firms in Silicon Valley are among the bigger culprits.

The US Department of Labor may have statistics on that; you may want to research it on your own. Some people dream of retiring at 50. That doesn't happen for most people. We have to keep working until we reach 60 or even 70.

There are some ways to counter the bias some companies/industries have toward younger people. First and foremost, you will need to grow. Expecting to hold on to an entry-level position is unrealistic and is demeaning of yourself. Entry-level positions are for people with little or no experience, little or no skills. Companies expect people to advance with experience. There are many areas for advancement. Climbing the management ladder is an obvious one. Some companies have technical ladders, some have technical sales reps. Striking out on your own is yet another route.

I am not an expert in the field of engineering. However, I can provide some general information based on my knowledge and research. Retirement age for engineers can vary depending on many factors such as the type of engineering, the company or organization they work for, and their individual capabilities and interests. In some cases, engineers may choose to retire earlier or later depending on their personal circumstances.

In terms of the specific disciplines of engineering, there is no set retirement age. However, as you mentioned, the rate of technological advancement in software and electrical engineering may require engineers to stay updated and continuously learn new skills to stay relevant in the industry. This may be more challenging for older engineers, but it is not impossible for them to continue working in these fields.

On the other hand, civil engineering may have a longer retirement age as projects in this field tend to have longer timelines and may require more experience and expertise. Additionally, as you mentioned, government firms may have different retirement policies compared to private companies, which may allow engineers to work longer.

Overall, it is important to note that age should not be a determining factor in an engineer's career. As long as they are able to adapt to new technologies and continue to contribute to their field, they should be able to work for as long as they desire. It is also important for companies and organizations to provide opportunities for continuous learning and development for engineers of all ages to ensure their skills remain relevant in the ever-evolving field of engineering.

1. How long can you work as an engineer?

The length of time an engineer can work depends on various factors such as their job responsibilities, industry demands, and personal choices. Some engineers may choose to work until retirement age, while others may switch careers or pursue different interests.

2. Is there a specific age limit for working as an engineer?

There is no specific age limit for working as an engineer. As long as an engineer is able to perform their job duties effectively, they can continue working. However, some companies may have mandatory retirement policies for certain positions.

3. Do engineers have to constantly update their skills to stay employable?

In order to stay competitive and employable, most engineers choose to continually update their skills and knowledge. With advancements in technology and changes in industry demands, it is important for engineers to stay up-to-date in order to remain relevant in their field.

4. Can engineers work in a different field or industry later in their career?

Yes, engineers can work in various fields and industries throughout their career. Many engineering skills are transferable and can be applied to different industries. Some engineers may also choose to pursue higher education or certifications to switch to a different field.

5. What are some common reasons for engineers to retire or leave the field?

Some common reasons for engineers to retire or leave the field include reaching retirement age, career burnout, health issues, or pursuing different interests. Additionally, some engineers may choose to leave the field for better job opportunities or career growth in a different industry.