Stark effect and electric dipole moments

It is also possible to use the Schrödinger equation to calculate the dipole moment, but this method may be more complicated. It is not necessary to have a mathematical description of the Stark effect, but it can provide a deeper understanding of the phenomenon. Searching for more resources on the topic may also be helpful. In summary, the dipole moment for the interference of 2s and 2p (m=0) states in hydrogen can be calculated using the expectation value of the dipole operator and the given wave functions. More research and resources may be needed for a deeper understanding of the Stark effect and electric dipole moments.
pitch-black
One excersise of my current homework for experimental physics (Ba, 4th term) is giving me troubles, because I have no idea where to start.

Excersise:
Stark effect: Calculate the electric dipole moment for the interference of 2s and 2p (m=0) states (hydrogen).

The wave functions are given as:

psi_1 = (2)^(-0.5) * (psi_200 + psi_210)
psi_2 = (2)^(-0.5) * (psi_200 - psi_210)

with:
psi_200 = 0.25*(2*pi)^(-0.5) * a_0^(-3/2) * (2 - (r/a_0)) * exp(-r/2a_0)
psi_210 = 0.25*(2*pi)^(-0.5) * a_0^(-3/2) * (r/a_0) * cos(theta) * exp(-r/2a_0)

a_0 is the Bohrian radius

I qualitatively know what the Stark effect is about, but I seem to have no clue how to calculate the dipole moment using wave functions.
I already searched the internet and my books about the Stark effect and electric dipole moments, but all I found was nothing but descriptions of the effect itself and equations featuring the electric field.

The only idea I had so far was inserting the wave equation into Schrödinger equation in order to calculate the Hamiltonian, but I didn't really succeed by doing so, because I couldn't do anything with it.

How can I calculate the dipole moment using wave functions?
Is the mathematical description of the Stark effect actually necessary?

Any hints (or book recommendations) would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance!The dipole moment of an atom can be calculated using the wave functions by taking the expectation value of the dipole operator and state wavefunctions. The dipole operator is given by D = -e*rwhere e is the elementary charge and r is the position vector. The expectation value of the dipole moment can then be calculated using the formula<D> = <psi|D|psi>where psi is the wavefunction of the state in question. Plugging in the wavefunctions given in the question, one can calculate the dipole moment for each state and then add them together for the total dipole moment.

1. What is the Stark effect?

The Stark effect is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the energy levels of atoms or molecules are shifted in the presence of an external electric field. This effect is named after the physicist Johannes Stark who first observed it in 1913.

2. How does the Stark effect occur?

The Stark effect occurs due to the interaction between the electric field and the electric dipole moment of an atom or molecule. The electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within an atom or molecule. When an electric field is applied, it exerts a force on the electric dipole moment, causing a shift in the energy levels.

3. What is an electric dipole moment?

An electric dipole moment is a vector quantity that measures the separation of positive and negative charges within an atom or molecule. It is represented by the symbol μ and is measured in units of Coulomb-meters (C⋅m). A non-zero electric dipole moment indicates an asymmetric distribution of charge within an atom or molecule.

4. How is the Stark effect used in scientific research?

The Stark effect is used in various fields of scientific research, such as spectroscopy and quantum optics. By studying the energy shifts and transitions in atoms or molecules under an external electric field, scientists can gain a better understanding of their electronic structure and properties. This information is crucial in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and physics.

5. Can the Stark effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Stark effect can be observed in everyday life. One common example is the splitting of spectral lines in a neon sign when an electric field is applied. This effect is also utilized in devices such as lasers and atomic clocks. However, the Stark effect is usually only noticeable in strong electric fields or in highly polarizable atoms or molecules.