About the interaction of light and solid matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of predicting the color of a solid object based on its molecular formula. It is stated that this can be done through quantum mechanics, but it is a complex process and not yet easier than measuring the color. Sources are recommended for further understanding of the principles behind color prediction, including the role of electronic and vibrational states and the difficulty in accurately calculating them. It is also mentioned that relativistic effects can play a role in the color of certain elements.
snoopies622
Last week I posted the following question here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/printthread.php?p=2735375

"Is it possible to predict the color of a solid object based on its molecular formula?"

It wasn't completely ignored but the thread did come to an abrupt end after only three responses, so I was wondering if I should have posted it in this section instead of the "general physics" section.

Basically I want to know why an object is whatever color it is. For example, to my left is a green box of tea. When white light hits it, green photons are reflected while other photons are absorbed. Why? I know that the electrons in an isolated atom have distinct energy levels and absorb only photons which can change their energy from one allowed level to another, but what about the case where there is a solid or liquid mix of atoms or molecules? Is the theory behind this established enough so that one say, "given a solid made of these particular molecules at this particular temperature, we know that it will be green"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well as I wrote there, these discrete levels smear out. http://brucegary.net/MTP_tutorial/OxyAbsSpec.png" , in that case of oxygen absorption at different altitudes, i.e. different pressures. As you see, at higher altitudes (low density) you have relatively distinct absorption peaks, and as you go towards low altitude/high density, it turns into one big continuum.

Yes, this can be predicted through quantum mechanics. It's not easy though, since for a solid you need to model it with a relatively big system, and for color, you would need a quite accurate method - since even a small error (in terms of energy) would be a rather large shift in color.

But colors can and have been predicted this way. But as of yet, it's not easier to calculate it than to measure it. Spectroscopy is very accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, alxm. Could you give me a good source or two on this issue? I'm interested in the details.

Well, what do you want to learn?

The basic principles are from quantum mechanics. Then you have to work your way up to solid-state physics (for solids) or quantum chemistry (other phases) and so forth. It might be simplest to start reading up on UV-VIS-IR spectroscopy though, e.g. in physical chemistry textbooks.

Absorption/emission of visual light corresponds to either 1) The low end of electronic transitions. (Which are usually beyond the visual, in UV) or 2) The high end of vibrational transitions (which are usually down in the infrared).

For instance, metals don't absorb much visual light, which (together with their reflective property) gives them the silverish color we all know. But gold has an electronic transition which (compared to silver) is shifted down from the UV into the blue range. So it absorbs blue light and hence looks yellow.

Water is a very light blue. That is due to a vibrational mode, most of which is in the IR, but it also extends a bit into the red. But heavy water (D2O) isn't blue - because vibrational modes depend on the masses of the atoms (a spring with two heavy masses doesn't vibrate like a spring with two light ones). But electronic states don't depend on isotopes at all, really.

Anyway, the bottom line is that it's exceedingly difficult to predict colors, because doing so means you need to know all the different electronic and vibrational states, and you can only get this information by fully solving the Schrödinger Equation for the molecule or crystal in question, and to a high level of accuracy. (in fact, you can't even use the S.E. for gold, because the S.E. doesn't take special relativity into account, something which is important for heavy elements. In fact, the yellow color of gold is a relativistic effect, in the sense that it'd be silver-colored according to the S.E.)

Wow, thanks alxm. This is a good beginning for me.

1. How does light interact with solid matter?

When light comes into contact with solid matter, it can be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted. This interaction depends on the properties of the solid matter, such as its composition and surface texture, as well as the wavelength and intensity of the light.

2. What is the role of electrons in the interaction of light and solid matter?

Electrons in the atoms of solid matter are responsible for the absorption and emission of light. When light strikes a solid, it causes the electrons to move to higher energy levels, and when the electrons return to their original positions, they emit light in the form of reflection or fluorescence.

3. How does the color of an object relate to the interaction of light and solid matter?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects. For example, a red object appears red because it reflects red light and absorbs all other colors. This is a result of the interaction between the light and the electrons in the atoms of the object's solid matter.

4. Can the interaction of light and solid matter be affected by external factors?

Yes, the interaction of light and solid matter can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. These external factors can alter the properties of the solid matter and therefore change how it interacts with light.

5. How does the interaction of light and solid matter play a role in everyday life?

The interaction of light and solid matter has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in technologies like solar panels, lasers, and LED lights. It also plays a crucial role in the colors we see and the materials we use, such as in clothing dyes and pigments.