Formula for Circular Motion and Tangential Speed

In summary, the Earth rotates once per day and the tangential speed of a mountain located on the equator at an elevation of 6409 m can be calculated using the formula v = ωR, where ω is the angular speed (2π/T) and R is the equatorial radius of Earth (6379 km). However, the answer was initially incorrect due to using the wrong unit for the radius, but was later corrected.
vwillis

Homework Statement

The Earth rotates on its own axis once per day (24.0 hr). What is the tangential speed of the summit of a mountain (elevation 6409 m above sea level), which is located approximately on the equator, due to the rotation of the Earth? Take the equatorial radius of Earth to be 6379 km

I'm looking for the formula to help solve this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very straightforward problem. You could use dimensional analysis to solve it in your head.

[tex]v=\omega R[/tex]

You do the rest!

I used that formula it didnt accept my answer.
v=WR
W=2pi/T
W=2pi/86400s

V=.000074*63979
I won't accept that onwebassign.net

Where did you get that weird radius from?

i meant to say 6379

Look at your data again, the radius is still weird.

Its correct i just don't know what to do

Why are you given two radiuses then?

Good night!

nvrminf thanks so much.. i forgot to change the radius to m

What is the formula for circular motion?

The formula for circular motion is v = ωr, where v represents the tangential speed, ω represents the angular velocity, and r represents the radius of the circular path.

What is tangential speed?

Tangential speed, also known as linear speed, is the speed at which an object moves along a circular path at a given point in time. It is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or moves along a circular path. It is measured in units of angle per time, such as radians per second or degrees per minute.

What is the relationship between tangential speed and angular velocity?

The tangential speed and angular velocity are directly proportional to each other, meaning that an increase in one will result in an increase in the other. This relationship is represented by the formula v = ωr.

How does the radius of a circular path affect tangential speed?

The radius of a circular path has an inverse relationship with tangential speed, meaning that as the radius increases, the tangential speed decreases and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the formula v = ωr.