Every nonzero vector space can be viewed as a space of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that Ψ is an isomorphism, including the fact that it is linear and one-to-one, but difficulties in proving that it is onto. A solution is proposed using the fact that vectors in V can be written as a linear combination of a finite number of vectors in S, which is by definition. It is also noted that S is the basis for both vector spaces and therefore they are isomorphic.
Buri
Homework Statement

Let V be a nonzero vector space over a field F, and suppose that S is a bases for V. Let C(S,F) denote the vector space of all functions f ∈ Ω(S,F) (i.e. the set of functions from S to a field F) such that f(s) = 0 for all but a finite number of vectors in S. Let Ψ: C(S,F) → V be defined by Ψ(f) = 0 if f is the zero function, and Ψ(f) = Σ {s ∈ S, f(s) ≠ 0} f(s)s, otherwise. Prove that Ψ is an isomorphism.

The attempt at a solution

Okay, I've already proved that Ψ is linear, that it is 1-1, but I'm having troubles proving that it is onto. Here's what I've done:

I'd like to be able to show that for any v ∈ V there is a f ∈ Ω(S,F) such that Ψ(f) = v. So v = (a1)s1 + (a2)s2 + ... where S = {s1, s2, ...} is a basis for V (I haven't been told whether V is finite or infinite dimensional). However Ψ(f), when f is nonzero, is a linear combination of FINITE number of elements of the basis. I do realize we could write Ψ(f) = f(s1)s1 + f(s2)s2 + ... where some of these will be zero as f is only nonzero at a finite number of them. See if v = (a1)s1 + a2(s2) + ... + (an)sn then I could define f to be f(si) = ai and I would be done. But the problem is that I can't see and can't show that Ψ(f) could ever equal a vector in v which is a linear combination of an infinite number of elements of the basis.

Any help? This isn't homework, I'm taking a look at linear algebra on my own this summer. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I've figured it out! :)

The vectors in V will be written as a linear combination of FINITE number of vectors of S - this is by definition! I hadn't read a section on Maximal linearly independent sets (the course I'll be taking in the fall skips it) so I hadn't seen this result.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, S here is the basis for both vector spaces, i.e., the free vector space on
S has S as its basis, so the two should be isomorphic.

1. What is a nonzero vector space?

A nonzero vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects (vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by scalars to produce new vectors. It must contain at least one nonzero vector and follow certain axioms, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How can a nonzero vector space be viewed as a space of functions?

In mathematics, a function is a rule that assigns a unique output value for each input value. By representing each vector in a nonzero vector space as a function, we can view the space as a collection of functions with certain properties, such as linearity and continuity.

3. What are the benefits of viewing a vector space as a space of functions?

Viewing a vector space as a space of functions allows us to apply techniques and concepts from the study of functions, such as calculus and analysis, to the study of vector spaces. This can lead to a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of the vector space.

4. Can any nonzero vector space be viewed as a space of functions?

Yes, any nonzero vector space can be viewed as a space of functions. This is because the concept of a function is very general and can be applied to a wide range of mathematical structures, including vector spaces.

5. Are there any limitations to viewing a nonzero vector space as a space of functions?

One limitation is that not all vector spaces can be viewed as a space of functions in a meaningful way. For example, vector spaces over finite fields cannot be viewed as spaces of functions since there is no notion of continuity in finite fields. Additionally, some properties of vector spaces may not be easily discernible when viewing them as spaces of functions.