Quantum physics-related literature

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum physics and the necessary background knowledge for understanding it. The suggestion is made to explore free lectures on YouTube by Leonard Susskind, a professor at Stanford University, and also to consider purchasing a book by Gennaro Auletta, Mauro Fortunato, and Giorgio Parisi as a reference.
JamesCC
I'm sorry if this has been asked ad infinitum.

I'm interested in quantum physics but have little academic experience in science or classical physics. I'm curious as to what some of you would suggest as optimal, or even essential, requisites as far as quantum physics-related literature goes. How much of a background in classical physics should I aspire towards?

All suggestions/help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF JamesCC!

The key to understanding physics is advanced http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_topics_in_mathematics".

I’m a layman myself, and have the same "problems"... :wink:

But, why buy expensive literature when you can have your own personal professor, teaching you everything for free!? :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Susskind", professor of Theoretical Physics at Stanford University, have a several free lectures on YouTube. The lectures are assembled in courses of 8 to 12 lectures of 1½ to 2 hours. Below are the links to the playlists of the full courses on YouTube (plays next lecture automatically). This will give you a total of 57 lectures, summing up to approx 100 hours of skilled education:

As for literature, I’m probably going to buy https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521869633/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Gennaro Auletta, Mauro Fortunato and Giorgio Parisi (2009):
412vwR0ztYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It starts with a short review of the foundations of classical mechanics, and then gives details on all topics of QM. It have tables of all QM abbreviations and (those hieroglyphic! :smile:) symbols, which I see as a big plus. It may well be used as a reference book, with rapid access to specific topics.

Good luck!

Edit: Here is a http://www.ewidgetsonline.com/dxrea...catalogue/AddToBasket.asp?isbn=9780521869638" on the book (page 1 - 53) + very neat content index. It looks very promising...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as atoms and photons, at a microscopic level. It deals with concepts such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and quantum entanglement.

2. What is the significance of quantum physics-related literature?

Quantum physics-related literature plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe. It also has practical applications in technologies such as computers, lasers, and medical imaging.

3. What are some important theories in quantum physics-related literature?

Some important theories in quantum physics-related literature include quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and quantum information theory. These theories help explain the behavior of particles at a subatomic level and have been extensively studied and tested through experiments.

4. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in its principles and laws. In classical physics, objects follow predictable trajectories, while in quantum physics, particles behave probabilistically. Additionally, quantum physics allows for concepts such as superposition and entanglement, which do not exist in classical physics.

5. Are there any practical applications of quantum physics-related literature?

Yes, there are numerous practical applications of quantum physics-related literature. These include technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also has potential applications in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum communication.