The end of the war, finally [WWI]

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, after a prolonged period, World War I has finally come to an end. While the first World War officially ended in 1919 with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, hostilities continued until Germany made its final payment of $94 million dollars (or 59.5 million pounds) in reparations to the Allies. This marked the official end of the war for Germany, although many believe that the mistake of the Treaty of Versailles should have been corrected during World War II.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The end of the war, finally! [WWI]

It’s taken a bit longer than expected, but WWI is officially over. I know what you’re thinking; didn’t the first World War end in 1919 when Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the others sign the Treaty of Versailles with the US, British, and French in that train car? Well yes and no. The hostilities officially ended, but as part of the armistice, the Germans had to pay reparations to the French, British, and Americans for their actions during the war. Germany, with a last payment of $94 million dollars (or 59.5 million pounds) has officially paid off WWI.

“On Sunday the last bill is due and the First World War finally, financially at least, terminates for Germany...
http://www.popfi.com/2010/09/29/wwi-officially-ends/

Physics news on Phys.org

You would think that WWII would have cleared up the mistake that was the Treaty of Versailles. What a silly gesture, if Germany did it of their own volition.

I hope the check doesn't clear. My Packard Le Père-Lusac II never did see combat.

1. What led to the end of World War I?

The end of World War I was primarily caused by a combination of factors, including growing unrest and discontent among the populations of the warring nations, the entry of the United States into the war, and the decline of the Central Powers due to economic and resource shortages.

2. When did World War I officially end?

The armistice to end World War I was signed on November 11, 1918, at 11:00 am, marking the official end of the war. This date is now celebrated as Armistice Day, and later became known as Veterans Day in the United States.

3. How many casualties were there in World War I?

Estimates vary, but it is believed that around 20 million people lost their lives in World War I, making it one of the deadliest conflicts in history. Over 9 million soldiers and 7 million civilians were among the casualties.

4. What were the major consequences of World War I?

World War I had a significant impact on the world, both politically and socially. The Treaty of Versailles, which officially ended the war, imposed harsh penalties on Germany and set the stage for the rise of Nazi Germany and the start of World War II. The war also led to the collapse of several empires and the formation of new nations, as well as advancements in technology and weapons.

5. How did the end of World War I shape the modern world?

The end of World War I had a profound impact on the world, shaping global politics and society in countless ways. It marked the beginning of a new era, with the emergence of new superpowers, changing borders and alliances, and the start of the modern era of warfare. The war also had a lasting impact on the economy, culture, and social norms of many nations involved.