Filters in closed-loop control

In summary, the use of filters in closed-loop control systems can help eliminate sensor noise, but they can also cause phase shift and amplitude attenuation. The effectiveness of using a filter depends on the system's time constants and response requirements. Adding a compensator or programming a microcontroller can help correct for these effects.
Riscilla
Hi friends,

I have a question regarding the use of filters in closed-loop control systems. Very often in a system like that there is noise from the sensor, and we have to put a filter after the sensor to eliminate the noise. However, all filters produce a phase shift as well as an amplitude attenuation into the measured signal, therefore the signal we get is already distorted. My question is that how could we control the system in these circumstances?

To make things clearer, I will give an example: Suppose I intend to setup a digital control system with a update frequency (sample rate) of 1 (kHz). But the measured signal is very noisy, so I have to use a filter to reduce the noise. After several tries, I come up with a filter which has a -3db of 200 (Hz). With this sensor, all noises are removed, however, there are also a lot of phase shift and amplitude attenuation. Can we still control the system with that filter?

Thank you for reading my question. Any answer would be very appreciated.

Regards,

Riscilla

Engineering news on Phys.org
It all depends on the rest of the system's time constants and response requirements. A simple motor speed control updated every .01 sec is probably pretty good, but other applications may need quicker response or more accurate tracking.

i deleted original post. i did not carefully read your question.

the problem is in the sensor. i think you only need to add a compensator to correct phase shift. there should be a chapter on compensator design in control systems books.

another way is to mathematically apply filtering/ compensation/ control by programming a microcontroller or interfacing with a scientific package (scilab, matlab, labview).

Last edited:

What is a filter in closed-loop control?

A filter in closed-loop control is a device that is used to remove unwanted signals or noise from the feedback loop of a control system. It helps to improve the stability and performance of the system by reducing the effects of disturbances and measurement errors.

What types of filters are commonly used in closed-loop control?

Some common types of filters used in closed-loop control include low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and notch filters. These filters can be designed using different techniques such as analog circuits, digital algorithms, or a combination of both.

How does a filter affect the response of a closed-loop control system?

A filter can affect the response of a closed-loop control system in several ways. It can improve the system's transient response by reducing overshoot and settling time, as well as improve the steady-state response by reducing error and increasing accuracy. However, using a filter can also introduce time delays and phase shifts, which can affect the stability of the system.

Why is it important to choose the right filter for a closed-loop control system?

Choosing the right filter for a closed-loop control system is crucial because it can significantly impact the system's performance and stability. A poorly designed filter can introduce unwanted effects such as ringing, oscillations, or instability, which can lead to system failure. Therefore, careful consideration must be given to the system's requirements and the filter's characteristics when selecting the appropriate filter for a closed-loop control system.

How can I design a filter for my closed-loop control system?

The design process for a filter in closed-loop control involves identifying the system's requirements, selecting the appropriate filter type, and determining the filter's parameters. The design can be done using analytical methods, simulation tools, or through experimentation. It is essential to test and fine-tune the filter's performance to ensure it meets the system's requirements before implementing it in the control system.