Proving a product of compact spaces is compact

In summary: The proof is perfectly clear. But my question is, couldn't we have just said, before applying the tube lemma: "Take from N = A1 U ... U Am the set containing x0, and do this for every X. The collection of these sets is an open cover for X, and hence has a finite subcover."
radou
Homework Helper
This is not a homework question, although it may appear so from the title.

So, in Munkres, Theorem 26.7. says that a product of finitely many compact spaces is compact.

It is first proved for two spaces, the rest follows by induction.

Now, there's a point in the proof I don't quite understand.

The proof consists of two parts, in one part the tube lemma is proved, i.e. given spaces X and Y, with Y compact, and given x0 in X, if N is an open set in X x Y containing x0 x Y, then there is a neighborhood W of x0 in X such that N contains the set W x Y.

The tube lemma is used in the second part, and I don't quite see why, so I'd like to get this clarified.

The second part goes: Let X and Y be compact spaces, let A be an open covering of X x Y. Take x0 from X, the slice x0 x Y is compact (since it's homeomorphic to Y which is compact by hypothesis) and can therefore be covered by finitely many elements A1, ... ,Am of A. Their union N = A1 U ... U Am is an open set containing x0 x Y. Now the tube lemma is applied to N, and the proof is easily finished, i.e. there exists a neighborhood W of x0 such that W x Y is contained in N, and hence covered by finitely many elements of A1, ..., Am. Now for any x in X, take the neighborhood Wx, so we have an open cover for X, which has a finite subcover, since X is compact, and hence W1 x Y, ..., Wk x Y is a finite open cover X x .

The tube lemma allows us to find a neighborhood of x0, i.e. later on, for any x from X. So that the union of these neighborhoods covers X, and since X is compact, we can find a finite subcover consisting of these neighborhoods.

The proof is perfectly clear. But my question is, couldn't we have just said, before applying the tube lemma: "Take from N = A1 U ... U Am the set containing x0, and do this for every X. The collection of these sets is an open cover for X, and hence has a finite subcover."

Or it's simply the point that we don't know which set contains x0, so we can't specify which set to take?

Physics news on Phys.org
radou said:
The proof is perfectly clear. But my question is, couldn't we have just said, before applying the tube lemma: "Take from N = A1 U ... U Am the set containing x0, and do this for every X. The collection of these sets is an open cover for X, and hence has a finite subcover."
The N's are not an open cover of X, they are an open cover of X x Y. We need the fact that an open set W x Y containing x_0 x Y is contained in N (which is the tube lemma), such that the W's are an open cover of X. X is compact, so it follows that finitely many N's cover X x Y, and hence finitely many U x V covers X x Y (since finitely many U x V covers each N and thus W x Y contained in N).

Ahh, I understand! Of course! The elements in the unions constituting the N's are subsets of X x Y, and we need subsets of X! OK, thanks! :) I made a big fuss about a simple thing.

1. What is the definition of a compact space?

A compact space is a topological space in which every open cover has a finite subcover. In other words, every open cover of a compact space can be reduced to a finite number of open sets that still cover the space.

2. How do you prove that a product of compact spaces is compact?

To prove that a product of compact spaces is compact, we use the Tychonoff's theorem, which states that the product of any collection of compact spaces is also compact. This theorem can be proved using the Axiom of Choice and the Hausdorff property.

3. What is the intuition behind the proof of Tychonoff's theorem?

The intuition behind the proof of Tychonoff's theorem is that by using the Axiom of Choice, we can choose a point from each compact space in the product. Then, by the Hausdorff property, we can construct a sequence of open sets that contains these chosen points. This sequence can then be reduced to a finite subcover, which proves the compactness of the product.

4. Can Tychonoff's theorem be extended to an infinite product of compact spaces?

Yes, Tychonoff's theorem can be extended to an infinite product of compact spaces. This is known as the Tychonoff's theorem for countably infinite products, and it states that the product of countably infinite number of compact spaces is still compact.

5. Are there any other equivalent statements for Tychonoff's theorem?

Yes, there are other equivalent statements for Tychonoff's theorem, such as the Alexander subbase theorem, the Tietze extension theorem, and the Stone-Weierstrass theorem. These theorems all have the same underlying idea of using the Axiom of Choice and the Hausdorff property to prove the compactness of a product of spaces.