Any group of 3 elements is isomorphic to Z3

In summary, to prove that any group with three elements is isomorphic to Z_{3}, we can take the group {e,a,b} with the order of every element being three. Then, we can define the map G --> Z3 by e = 0, a = 1, and b = 2. This is an isomorphism because it is one-to-one and onto, and satisfies the condition c(ab) = c(a)c(b). To show that it is one-to-one, we can use a proof by contradiction, assuming c(a) = c(b) and showing that this leads to a contradiction.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

Prove that any group with three elements is isomorphic to [tex]Z_{3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let G be the group of three elements
We have an isomorphism if given c:G--->[tex]Z_{3}[/tex],
if c is one-to -one and onto and c(ab)=c(a)c(b)

First, we check one-to-one
We want c(a)=c(b) to imply a=b
My problem here is how to define c(a), c(b).
Onto:
We want c(a)=x and want to solve for a?
c(ab):
Same problem with not knowing what c(ab) is

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a group of three elements {e,a,b}. Since the order of every element must be three, we have that b=a². Thus the group is {e,a,a²}.

Define the map G --> Z3 by
e ---> 0
a ---> 1
b ---> 2

It is easily checked that this is indeed an iso.

So c(a)=c(b)
c(a)=1
c(b)=2
1=2 not true, but that means it's not an isomorphism

Uh what? c(a) doesn't equal c(b)? does it?

I thought for the one to one part, you assume c(a)=c(b)

Yes... never mind...

but I assumed that but that amounts to 1=2. How does that work?

You assumed that c(a)=c(b), and from that assimption followed that 1=2. So your assumption is wrong, and thus [tex]c(a)\neq c(b) [/tex]

Then I guess I don't see how to show 1-1

onto
y=c(x)
Do I just take any element, say a
y=c(a)=1
y=1, but we want to solve for x I thought

c(a)c(b)
1*2
2=c(ab)

You show 1-1 by a simple proof by contradiction. I'm sorry, but a math major really should be able to do such a thing...

What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two objects or structures that preserves certain properties. In the context of group theory, an isomorphism between two groups means that the two groups have the same structure and operations, even though their elements may be different.

What does it mean for a group to be isomorphic to Z3?

If a group is isomorphic to Z3, it means that the group has the same structure and operations as the group Z3. This means that the group has three elements, and its operation is addition modulo 3.

How can you prove that any group of 3 elements is isomorphic to Z3?

To prove that any group of 3 elements is isomorphic to Z3, you can use the Cayley table method. This involves creating a table with the group's elements as rows and columns, and filling in the table with the results of the group's operation. If the resulting table is identical to the Cayley table for Z3, then the group is isomorphic to Z3.

Are there any other groups that are isomorphic to Z3?

Yes, there are other groups that are isomorphic to Z3. For example, the cyclic group of order 3 is isomorphic to Z3, as well as the group of symmetries of an equilateral triangle.

What is the significance of proving that any group of 3 elements is isomorphic to Z3?

Proving that any group of 3 elements is isomorphic to Z3 allows us to understand the structure and operations of the group better. It also allows us to make connections between different mathematical concepts and apply them in various fields of science, such as physics and computer science.