Divisibility: Proving That a is Divisible by c

In summary, if a and b are relatively prime positive integers and c is a positive integer, and a | bc, then it follows that a | b or a | c. This can be proven by using the fact that if a | bc, then bc = ka for some integer k, and the condition that a and b are relatively prime, meaning their greatest common divisor is 1.
rooski

Homework Statement

let a and b be relatively prime positive integers.

if c is a positive integer and a | bc then prove that a | c

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by trying to prove the contra-positive. If a is not divisible by bc then a is not divisible by c.

it follows that a mod bc > 0 in this case.

Now suppose x = bc.

If a mod c is > 0 as well, then a mod c = a mod x.

It follows that a is equivalent to c mod x, or c mod bc.

Is this ample proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the contrapositive, you are assuming that a and b are relatively prime, with c being a positive integer. Now show that if a does not divide c, then a does not divide bc.

If might be simpler to prove the statement directly rather than trying to prove the contrapositive.

Hmm,

what if i were to say a mod bc = 0, and a mod c = 0?

I can then say a mod bc = a mod c... Right?

Should i be using the division theorem to somehow get a conclusion?

I don't think you are clear in what you need to prove.
Given: a and b are relatively prime positive integers, and c is a positive integer.
Prove: if a | bc then a|c

You can say a (mod bc) [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0, since that's equivalent to saying a | bc, but you can't just say a (mod c) [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (which is equivalent to saying a | c), because you have to show that.

Using the division theorem i can say a = bc + 0 (since the remainder is 0 in order for it to be divisible by bc). So i somehow have to manipulate a = bc to get simply a = c?

If -ac = b, and b is 0, then i can say a = c, and hence a is certainly divisible by c, right?

Last edited:
rooski said:
Using the division theorem i can say a = bc + 0 (since the remainder is 0 in order for it to be divisible by bc).
No. As I already said, you are given that a | bc (or equivalently, a [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 (mod bc). This doesn't mean that a = bc.

For example, 5 | 50, but 5 [itex]\neq[/itex] 50.

What you can say is that if a | bc, then bc = ka for some integer k.
rooski said:
So i somehow have to manipulate a = bc to get simply a = c?

If -ac = b, and b is 0, then i can say a = c, and hence a is certainly divisible by c, right?

ugh I'm so lost. I want to take ak = bc and somehow work it out so that i find that ak = c, but how can i do that?

should i be focusing more on modulus division in this question, or should i be manipulating with algebra?

what bothers me most about these proofs is that there's no set method for solving them, you're just supposed to somehow come up with a solution out of thin air. :S

I don't think you need the modulus stuff in this problem. Focus on what the basic terminology means; e.g., a | bc means that bc = k*a for some integer k, and what it means for two integers to be relatively prime.

It might be helpful to cook up a few examples using numbers. These won't do for a proof, but it might help you get some better understanding of how the proof would need to go.

1. Let a = 5 and b = 9, and let c = 6

Here a and b are relatively prime, and c > =

Does 5 | 54 ? No. Do we need to show that 5 | 6? No, since the condition that a | bc isn't met.
2. Let a = 5 and b = 9, as before, and let c = 8
Does 5 | 72? No. Do we need to show that 5 | 8? No, since the condition that a | bc isn't met.

3. Let a = 5 and b = 9, as before, and let c = 10
Does 5 | 90? Yes. Does 5 | 10? Yes.

rooski said:
what bothers me most about these proofs is that there's no set method for solving them, you're just supposed to somehow come up with a solution out of thin air. :S
Proofs involve a different way of thinking than you are probably used to, so in one respect, they are harder. On the other hand, you know what the answer is, and it's just a matter of getting to it!

Off topic, but your user name suggests you are Russian. In Cyrillic, it's русский, which means Russian (masc.).

Since a | bc then it follows that a | b or a | c. Since gcd(a,b) = 1 then it follows a | b is false.

Thusly we conclude a | c.

That makes perfect sense to me, but is it ample proof?

Is there a theorem i have to cite for this?

rooski said:
Since a | bc then it follows that a | b or a | c.
No, you can't conclude this. For example, 6 | 3*4, but 6 doesn't divide 3 and 6 doesn't divide 4.
rooski said:
Since gcd(a,b) = 1 then it follows a | b is false.

Thusly we conclude a | c.

That makes perfect sense to me, but is it ample proof?

Is there a theorem i have to cite for this?

But 3 and 6 are not relatively prime, right?

Let's do an example with a = 5, b = 7 and c = 10. a and b are relatively prime, and a = bc. It follows that a | c because of the constraints given by the question (namely, gcd(5,7) = 1). I think i have a solid answer here! :D

rooski said:
But 3 and 6 are not relatively prime, right?
Right. That means you need to say that a and b are relatively prime first before you can conclude that a | bc ==> a |b or a|c.
rooski said:
Let's do an example with a = 5, b = 7 and c = 10. a and b are relatively prime, and a = bc. It follows that a | c because of the constraints given by the question (namely, gcd(5,7) = 1). I think i have a solid answer here! :D

Ah, gotcha.

A similar question to this gives me a set S with a function f : S -> S defined as f(k) = ak mod b. Both a and b are relatively prime, and S = { 0, 1 ... b - 1 }

I have to show that it is one-to-one. I know that mod can never give more than 1 answer for what you supply it so what can i do to prove it's 1-to-1?

Last edited:
Okay so...

ax1 mod b - ax2 mod b = 0

What sort of operations can i do now? I need to get rid of "mod b" so would i divide the whole left side by "1 mod b" or something?

rooski said:
Okay so...

ax1 mod b - ax2 mod b = 0

What sort of operations can i do now? I need to get rid of "mod b" so would i divvide the left side by "1 mod b" or something?
No, it makes no sense to divide by "1 mod b".

If ax1 (mod b) = ax2 (mod b), then (ax1 - ax2) (mod b) = 0.

What does this say about ax1 - ax2?

Mark44 said:
No, it makes no sense to divide by "1 mod b".

If ax1 (mod b) = ax2 (mod b), then (ax1 - ax2) (mod b) = 0.

What does this say about ax1 - ax2?

Ah that makes sense.

To prove it is Onto, i would have to take y = ax mod b and find what it means in terms of x.

I find that i have a harder time figuring out what manipulations i can do on equations with mod in them. I cannot divide both sides by ax because that would leave "1 mod b" which isn't proper.

What options does that leave me?

rooski said:
Ah that makes sense.

To prove it is Onto, i would have to take y = ax mod b and find what it means in terms of x.
For a given y value, show that there is an x in S such that f(x) = y.
rooski said:
I find that i have a harder time figuring out what manipulations i can do on equations with mod in them. I cannot divide both sides by ax because that would leave "1 mod b" which isn't proper.
You seem to be thinking that ax (mod b) means ax * (mod b). At least that's what it seems like to me. In a way that's like thinking that
[tex]\frac{sin x}{x} = sin[/tex]

IOW, that sin x means sin * x, which it doesn't.

If you have an equation ax = 1 (mod b), think about what this means and how it's defined.

This is the same (equivalent to) ax - 1 = 0 (mod b), which is the same as saying ax - 1 = k*b for some integer k.

rooski said:
What options does that leave me?

Hrm, so i must find a value k so that a * k mod b == 1, correct?

then i will have a * k * x mod b <==> x mod b, i think.

What are you trying to do? Are you working on the "onto" part?

Yeah. A friend told me that i should be "finding a value k so that a * k mod b == 1" although all this has really done is make me more confused. :p

I don't see how that does you any good. What you need to show is that for any number y in S = {0, 1, 2, ..., b - 1}, there is a number k in S such that y = f(k). That's the definition of "onto."

So I've got here:

y = ak mod b
y - ak === 0 (mod b)
=> b | (y - ak)
=> y - ak = nb for some integer n.

Could i say n is zero, then say y = ak? Or is that a misstep?

rooski said:
So I've got here:

y = ak mod b
y - ak === 0 (mod b)
=> b | (y - ak)
=> y - ak = nb for some integer n.
Now solve for k. To prove that your function f(k) = ak (mod b), you are trying to show that for any number y in S = {0, 1, 2, ..., b - 1}, there is a number k in S such that f(k) = ak (mod b).
rooski said:
Could i say n is zero, then say y = ak? Or is that a misstep?
No, it just says that for some n, y - ak = nb. You can't assume any particular value for n.

What is divisibility?

Divisibility is the mathematical concept of determining if one number, called the dividend, can be divided evenly by another number, called the divisor, without leaving a remainder.

How do you prove that a number is divisible by another number?

To prove that a number is divisible by another number, you can use the division algorithm or the properties of divisibility such as the rule of divisibility by 2, 3, 5, etc.

What is the division algorithm?

The division algorithm is a step-by-step process for dividing one number by another. It involves dividing the dividend by the divisor, checking for a remainder, and repeating the process until there is no remainder or the remainder is zero.

What are the properties of divisibility?

The properties of divisibility are rules that can help determine if a number is divisible by another number. These include the rule of divisibility by 2, 3, 5, etc., which state that a number is divisible by a certain number if it ends in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 for 2; if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3 for 3; and if it ends in 0 or 5 for 5.

Why is divisibility important?

Divisibility is important in many areas of mathematics, such as prime factorization, simplifying fractions, and finding common denominators. It also has real-world applications in everyday life, such as calculating discounts or splitting a bill evenly among friends.