Can someone please explain to me how this works?

In summary, to factor out x from the expression √(x^2 - y^2), we must divide y^2 by x^2 and then multiply by the reciprocal of x^2 to maintain the same meaning of the expression. This allows us to simplify the square root and show a factor of x outside of the radical. This principle is similar to the one used when factoring expressions like (x-y)^2.
zeromodz
If let's say we have the following expression

√(x^2 - y^2)

If I wanted to factor out x, then why can't I just take x out because a square root of a square is the base.

x√(1 - y^2)

But it turns out that the answer to this is incorrect and the answer to factoring out x is.

x√(1 - y^2/x^2)

Why is it I divide by y^2, by x^2 ? I have no idea! Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Suppose it was (x-y)^2 you couldn't take out the x because it also effects the y,
ie. (x-y)^2 = (x-y)(x-y) = x^2 -2xy + y^2

and sqrt(x^2-y^2) is (x^2-y^2)^0.5 , same principle the x goes with the y

Use basic principles about fractions and the meaning of Multiplicative Inverse. You want to find an equivalent expression to your original one but you wish to show a factor of x2.

Look at the expression under the radical symbol.
[tex]x^2 - y^2 [/tex]

If you DIVIDE by x2 then you must also multiply by the reciprocal of x2 to state the same meaning of the expression.
[tex]x^2 (1 - \frac{y^2}{x^2})[/tex]

With that you can then find the square root can be simplified with a factor of just x outside of the radical.

NobodySpecial said:
Suppose it was (x-y)^2 you couldn't take out the x because it also effects the y,
ie. (x-y)^2 = (x-y)(x-y) = x^2 -2xy + y^2

and sqrt(x^2-y^2) is (x^2-y^2)^0.5 , same principle the x goes with the y

I understand, but how does dividing y^2 by x^2 resolve the expression?

symbolipoint said:
Use basic principles about fractions and the meaning of Multiplicative Inverse. You want to find an equivalent expression to your original one but you wish to show a factor of x2.

Look at the expression under the radical symbol.
[tex]x^2 - y^2 [/tex]

If you DIVIDE by x2 then you must also multiply by the reciprocal of x2 to state the same meaning of the expression.
[tex]x^2 (1 - \frac{y^2}{x^2})[/tex]

With that you can then find the square root can be simplified with a factor of just x outside of the radical.

Okay thank you so much, I understand now!

1) How does this process or system function?

The explanation of how something works depends on the specific process or system in question. Generally, it involves a series of steps or components that work together to achieve a desired outcome. It is important to understand the purpose and components of the process or system in order to explain how it works.

2) What are the key factors or variables that contribute to its functioning?

The key factors or variables that contribute to the functioning of a process or system depend on the specific context. It could be materials, energy sources, environmental conditions, or other factors. Identifying and understanding these factors is crucial in explaining how the process or system works.

3) Are there any underlying theories or principles that explain its functionality?

Oftentimes, there are underlying theories or principles that explain how a process or system works. These could be scientific principles, mathematical equations, or other theories. Understanding these theories can help in explaining the functionality of the process or system in a more comprehensive manner.

4) Can you provide an example or analogy to help understand its functioning?

Sometimes, providing an example or analogy can help in explaining how a process or system works. This could be comparing it to a familiar process or system, or breaking it down into simpler steps. Using examples or analogies can make the explanation more relatable and easier to understand.

5) What are the potential limitations or drawbacks of this process or system?

In order to fully understand how something works, it is important to also consider its limitations or drawbacks. These could be related to efficiency, cost, sustainability, or other factors. Acknowledging and addressing these limitations can provide a more well-rounded explanation of how the process or system works.