Velocity based frictional force equations

In summary, the conversation involves solving a problem with variable frictional forces using the equation -mkv^2=F. The individual sets up the F=ma equation and integrates both sides separately, using a "dummy variable" to find the solution. They also discuss getting the limits of integration and using latex.
abertram28
Im doing a problem with variable frictional forces.

My main equation is -mkv^2=F . We are to assume the force driving the object remains constant, kinda like a boat on the lake full bore.

So, I set my F=ma equation up.
-mkv^2=m(dv/dt)

Next I removed m and inverted both equations to solve for dt.
-dv/(kv^2)=dt

Next I intetegrated both sides seperately. I was taught to use a "dummy variable" by marking v and t somehow. I simply chose to use a superscript prime marking on my paper. anyhow... Ill use a little v for real velocity and big V for dummy velocity.
(1/kV)|0 to v = t

Isnt that (1/kv) - (1/0) ?

This equation doesn't solve nicely. In my setup I am given the equation for velocity and only asked to show how I got it.
V=Vo / (1 + Vo*kt)

Please help... I posted part of this problem over in classical when I had a different problem with it, so please don't flame me for double posting or spamming the board. If that's your opinion I couldn't care less.

TIA to anyone who helps!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me see

[tex] F = -mkv^2 [/tex]

[tex] m \frac{dv}{dt} = -mkv^2 [/tex]

[tex] -\frac{dv}{kv^2} = dt [/tex]

[tex] \int^{v}_{v_{o}} -\frac{dv}{kv^2} = \int^{t}_{0} dt [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{kv}]^{v}_{v_{o}} = t]^{t}_{0}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{kv} - \frac{1}{kv_{o}}= t - 0[/tex]

Hey, cyclovenom!

Thanks, all the examples we did in class used velocity starting at 0.. I didnt understand the part where we get limits of integration from. now it makes perfect sense, v=0 at t=0, so the lower limits are 0 and 0. in this case, v=Vo at t=0

Thanks for helping me out! I am totally clear, AND I am going to start using latex! woot!

1. What is the equation for calculating frictional force based on velocity?

The equation for calculating frictional force based on velocity is F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How is the coefficient of friction related to velocity?

The coefficient of friction is not directly related to velocity. It is a constant value that depends on the materials in contact and their surface properties.

3. Can velocity affect the direction of frictional force?

No, velocity does not affect the direction of frictional force. Frictional force always acts in the opposite direction of the applied force or motion.

4. How does frictional force change with increasing velocity?

Frictional force typically increases with increasing velocity, as there is more contact between the surfaces and thus more resistance to motion. However, this relationship can vary depending on the materials and surface properties involved.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect velocity-based frictional force equations?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect velocity-based frictional force equations, such as the surface area of contact, temperature, and the presence of lubricants. These factors can alter the coefficient of friction and thus impact the overall frictional force calculation.