Classical Mechanics (Lagrangian)

In summary, a ball is sitting on a frictionless seesaw with no inclination at the beginning, and a constant angular velocity ω. Find the position of the ball as a function of time.
firemarsh

Homework Statement

A ball is sitting on a frictionless seesaw with no inclination at the beginning, and a constant angular velocity [tex]\phi[/tex]. Find the position of the ball as a function of time

Homework Equations

L=T-V, T=(m[tex]\dot{}x[/tex]2+m[tex]\dot{}y[/tex]2)/2, V=mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

The first problem I run into is the dimension of this system, I thought it was a 1 dimension system at first but then suspect it is 2 dimension.

Anyway I take r (distance from pivot pt. to the ball) and [tex]\theta[/tex] as the generalized coordinates.
So I have x=rcos[tex]\theta[/tex], y=rsin[tex]\theta[/tex], which makes T=m([tex]\dot{}r[/tex]2+[tex]\dot{}\theta[/tex]2r2, and V=mglsin[tex]\theta[/tex], and results in Lagrangian:
L=m([tex]\dot{}r[/tex]2+[tex]\dot{}\theta[/tex]2r2-mglsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

obviously [tex]\dot{}\theta[/tex] is the constant [tex]\phi[/tex], so...I am confused right here, how do I continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
firemarsh said:

Homework Statement

A ball is sitting on a frictionless seesaw with no inclination at the beginning, and a constant angular velocity [tex]\phi[/tex]. Find the position of the ball as a function of time
I suspect the constant angular velocity is [tex]\dot{\phi}[/tex] (phi-dot) not just [tex]\phi[/tex].

kuruman said:
I suspect the constant angular velocity is [tex]\dot{\phi}[/tex] (phi-dot) not just [tex]\phi[/tex].
Does that matter? I thought the useful information here is that augular velocity is constant?:confused::confused:

firemarsh said:
Does that matter? I thought the useful information here is that augular velocity is constant?:confused::confused:
It doesn't really matter, you can call the constant angular velocity "Fred" if you so prefer. It's just that denoting an angular velocity with a symbol that is traditionally an angle might be confusing. So let's call the constant angular velocity ω and move on. You need to derive the equation(s) of motion by using the Euler-Lagrange equation.

Ok, using [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] as the coordinates, I get

[tex]
x=-rcos \theta , y=-rsin \theta, [/tex]
and

[tex]T=m(\dot{r}[/tex]2+r2[tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]2)/2

[tex]V=-mgrsin\theta[/tex]

[tex]L=m(\dot{r}[/tex]2[tex]+r[/tex]2[tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]2)[tex]/2+mgrsin\theta[/tex]

and [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial r}-\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{r}}=mr\dot{\theta}[/tex]2+[tex]mgsin\theta-m\ddot{r}=0[/tex]

and [tex]\frac{\partialL}{\partial \theta}-\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{\theta}}=mgrcos\theta-mr[/tex]2[tex]\ddot{\theta}+2m\dot{r}\dot{\theta}=0
[/tex]

and substitute [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] with [tex]\omega[/tex] and [tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] with 0

Is that how I do it?

Last edited:
But I am still not sure if I really need 2 degrees of freedom in this system

firemarsh said:
But I am still not sure if I really need 2 degrees of freedom in this system
You do need two degrees of freedom because you need two numbers to describe the position of the ball uniquely as a function of time, i.e. find r(t) and θ(t). Also, your theta equation is incorrect. You are given that [tex]\dot{\theta}=\omega=constant[/tex], so what is θ(t)?

[tex]\theta[/tex](t) would be [tex]\omega[/tex]t

You are right, the theta equation is wrong,

For theta, [tex]mgr\dot{\theta}cos\theta-2mr^2\ddot{\theta}+2mr\dot{r}\dot{\theta}=0[/tex], which can be simplified to [tex]gr\omega cos(\omega t)+2r\dot{r}\alpha=0[/tex]

For r, [tex]r\omega^2+gsin(\omega t)=0[/tex]

Is it possible to further simplify the equations? Say eliminate the [tex]\dot{r}[/tex] term?

firemarsh said:
[tex]\theta[/tex](t) would be [tex]\omega[/tex]t

You are right, the theta equation is wrong,

For theta, [tex]mgr\dot{\theta}cos\theta-2mr^2\ddot{\theta}+2mr\dot{r}\dot{\theta}=0[/tex], which can be simplified to [tex]gr\omega cos(\omega t)+2r\dot{r}\alpha=0[/tex]

For r, [tex]r\omega^2+gsin(\omega t)=0[/tex]

Is it possible to further simplify the equations? Say eliminate the [tex]\dot{r}[/tex] term?
What do you mean "for theta"? You already know that θ=ωt. There is nothing more to be done with that. Just replace θ with ωt in the radial equation and solve to find r(t).

What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects and systems under the influence of forces.

What is the Lagrangian in Classical Mechanics?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its position, velocity, and time. It is used to derive the equations of motion for a system in Classical Mechanics.

How is the Lagrangian different from the Newtonian approach?

The Newtonian approach in Classical Mechanics uses Newton's laws of motion to describe the behavior of a system, while the Lagrangian approach uses the principle of least action to find the equations of motion. The Lagrangian approach is more general and can be applied to systems with complex constraints and multiple degrees of freedom.

What is the principle of least action in Classical Mechanics?

The principle of least action states that the motion of a system is determined by the path that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This principle is based on the idea that nature tends to take the path of least resistance.

What are some applications of Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics has many practical applications, including predicting the motion of planets and celestial bodies, analyzing the motion of fluids and gases, and designing complex mechanical systems such as robots and satellites. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.