Quantum Mechanics - Two spin 1/2 particles

In summary, to show that the state |\chi>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|\uparrow>|\downarrow>-|\downarrow>|\uparrow>) has total spin zero, one can use the operator \hat{S}^{2} = \hat{S}^{2}_{1} + \hat{S}^{2}_{2} + 2 (\hat{\mathbf{S}}_{1} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{S}}_{2}) and express the dot product with the ladder operators. This results in the value of \hat{S}^{2} |\chi\rangle = 0, indicating a state of total spin 0. Another method,
Tangent87
How do we show that the state [tex] |\chi>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|\uparrow>|\downarrow>-|\downarrow>|\uparrow>)[/tex] has total spin zero? Does it involve acting some combination of the spin operators on it?

I know that the total spin operator [tex]\underline{S^2}=S_x^2+S_y^2+S_z^2=\frac{3\hbar^2}{4}I [/tex] where I is the 2x2 identity matrix but I don't see how that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
For two particles you should use

[tex]S_{12}=S_1\otimes S_2[/tex]

For each spin component. So, for [itex]S_z[/itex] it will be easy. For [itex]S^2_x+S^2_y[/itex] you play with [itex]S_x+iS_y[/tex] and its conjugate, their commutations with [itex]S_z[/itex], or you can play with the explicit form of states and matrices.

Act on it with the operator:

[tex]
\hat{S}^{2} = \hat{S}^{2}_{1} + \hat{S}^{2}_{2} + 2 (\hat{\mathbf{S}}_{1} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{S}}_{2})
[/tex]

and express the dot product with the ladder operators:

[tex]
(\hat{\mathbf{S}}_{1} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{S}}_{2}) = \hat{S}_{1 x} \hat{S}_{2 x} + \hat{S}_{1 y} \hat{S}_{2 y} + \hat{S}_{1 z} \hat{S}_{2 z}
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{1}{4} \left[\left(\hat{S}_{1 +} + \hat{S}_{1 -}\right) \left(\hat{S}_{2 +} + \hat{S}_{2 -}\right) - \left(\hat{S}_{1 +} - \hat{S}_{1 -}\right) \left(\hat{S}_{2 +} - \hat{S}_{2 -}\right)\right] + \hat{S}_{1 z} \hat{S}_{2 z}
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} \left(\hat{S}_{1 +} \hat{S}_{2 -} + \hat{S}_{1 -} \hat{S}_{2 +}\right) + \hat{S}_{1 z} \hat{S}_{2 z}
[/tex]

You should get:

[tex]
\hat{S}^{2} |\chi\rangle = S (S + 1) |\chi\rangle
[/tex]

What value for [itex]S[/itex] do you get?

Thank you for your help, I get [tex]\hat{S}^{2} |\chi\rangle = 0[/tex], I take it that's correct as it's supposed to be a state of total spin 0? Is there no easier way to do it though as it took quite a bit of work and I see the result stated in so many textbooks as if it's obvious?

There is, through the use of Young tableaux.

1. What is the significance of spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles that determines their angular momentum and magnetic moment. In quantum mechanics, spin plays a crucial role in explaining the behavior of particles, especially at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What does it mean for two spin 1/2 particles to be entangled?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become correlated in such a way that their quantum states are connected. In the case of two spin 1/2 particles, they can be entangled such that the measurement of one particle's spin will determine the spin of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

3. How does the spin state of a system of two spin 1/2 particles affect its overall energy?

The total energy of a system of two spin 1/2 particles is determined by their individual spin states. If the two particles have opposite spin orientations, the system will have lower energy, while if they have the same spin orientation, the system will have higher energy.

4. Can two spin 1/2 particles have the same spin state?

No, according to the Pauli exclusion principle, two particles with half-integer spin (such as spin 1/2 particles) cannot have the same spin state. This is known as the spin-statistics theorem.

5. How is the spin of a system of two spin 1/2 particles affected by an external magnetic field?

The spin of a system of two spin 1/2 particles can be affected by an external magnetic field. In the presence of a magnetic field, the spin states of the particles will align either parallel or anti-parallel to the field, depending on the strength of the field and the properties of the particles.