How to design 1 MW biomass?

• Thread starter samrth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the power plant requires 740.66kg/hr of fuel to be fed in to generate 1MWele of electrical power. The enthalpy of the turbine and condenser must be calculated, as well as the temperature and pressure.
samrth
Hello,

I am writing my thesis on controlling 1MW biomass power plant using 800xA simulator.
I am electrical engineer, have some basic knowledge in mechanical engineering.

I have to design 1 MW biomass power plant:-
Boiler: Circulating fluidized bed boiler(540 deg C, 170 bar)
Steam Turbine type: Condensing type turbine.
Condenser: Air cooled condenser.

I would like to get 1MWele output. Please any suggesting how to calculate the capacity of the bioler, turbine, how much water required to generate required amount of steam and any suggestion regarding, is this kind of design is the efficient one?.

Please post your suggestion will be helpful for my thesis.

Thanks,
Sam.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To get started, you will need to estimate the thermodynamic efficiency of the power plant. You could perform a Rankine Cycle calculation.

But for a quick estimate, you can use the "modified" Carnot Cycle efficiency:

eff = [ sqrt (TH) - sqrt (TC) ] / sqrt (TH)

where eff = efficiency, TH is the steam temperature from the boiler, and TC is the temperature of the condenser fluid.

Once you estimate the efficiency (usaully about 33% to 38% for poweplants), the boiler capacity is given from the definition of efficiency: eff = electrical power / boiler power

Finally, you could estimate the turbine steam flow from 1st law of thermo:

Power Turbine = mass flow rate X (enthalpy in - enthalpy out)

Hello Friends,

I have to design 1MW biomass power plant for my thesis. I am a electrical engineering student, not strong in thermodynamics. I have some issues in designing my power plant. http://i40.tinypic.com/xndduq.jpgi have assumed efficiency

eff overall(35%) = boiler eff(85%)*cycle eff(56%)*turbine(mech)eff(90%)*generator eff(90%)*aux eff(90%)

output of the power plant = 1MWele

calorific value of biomass = 3000Kcal/kg.

with the help of eff and calorific value of biomass i have found out 740.66kg/hr of fuel have to be feed in.How to calculate enthalpy in and out of the turbine?

what would be the temperature and the pressure of the turbine and the condenser?The way i am designing the power plant, is it right or am i missing something?

If i am doing it wrong please help me to design a 1MW biomass power plant.

Please help me friends, it would be more helpful for my thesis.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Friends,
Please help me out in calculating steam flow required for 5MW extraction cum condensing turbine at various pressures?

1. How do I determine the appropriate size for a 1 MW biomass design?

The size of a 1 MW biomass design is typically determined by the amount of biomass available and the energy needs of the intended location. A feasibility study should be conducted to assess the potential biomass supply and demand, and to determine the appropriate size for the design.

2. What are the main components of a 1 MW biomass design?

A 1 MW biomass design typically consists of a biomass storage area, boiler, turbine, generator, and control system. The biomass is stored in the designated area and fed into the boiler, where it is burned to produce steam. The steam then drives the turbine, which in turn spins the generator to produce electricity. The control system helps regulate the process and ensures efficiency.

3. What type of biomass is suitable for a 1 MW design?

The type of biomass used in a 1 MW design can vary depending on availability and location. Generally, woody biomass such as wood chips, sawdust, or agricultural waste like corn cobs and straw are suitable for combustion in a biomass boiler. It is important to choose a biomass that is locally available to reduce transportation costs and carbon emissions.

4. How do I ensure the efficiency of a 1 MW biomass design?

Efficiency of a 1 MW biomass design can be ensured through proper planning, design, and maintenance. It is important to choose high-quality equipment and materials, properly size the components, and regularly maintain and monitor the system. Additionally, implementing energy-saving practices such as cogeneration (using excess heat for other purposes) can improve overall efficiency.

5. What are the environmental impacts of a 1 MW biomass design?

A 1 MW biomass design can have both positive and negative environmental impacts. On one hand, it can reduce the use of fossil fuels and decrease greenhouse gas emissions. On the other hand, it can contribute to air pollution if not properly maintained. It is important to carefully consider the location and operations of the biomass design to minimize any potential negative impacts on the environment.