What happens when p and n type semiconductors meet?

• Thread starter Bassalisk
  • Start date
In summary: This is what allows current to flow in the junction.In summary, when p and n type semiconductors meet, they form a junction. Near this junction, electrons from the n-type semiconductor fill the electron holes in the p-type semiconductor, creating negative ions. This creates a depletion zone, where there are no charge carriers. When acceptors accept these electrons, they become negative ions, and the nearby atoms become ionized. This creates an electric field and causes a space charge to build up, inhibiting further electron transfer unless a forward bias is applied. The acceptors are atoms with a lack of electrons, making them positively charged, but when they accept an electron, they become negatively charged, creating overall charge neutrality. This allows current to
Bassalisk
When p and n meet they form a junction. Shortly after a depletion zone is formed.

I have a question about this forming. Probably the obvious answer.

Near the junction, electrons from n-type crossover into p-type and fill those electron holes, leaving their mother atoms(5 valence ones) immobile positive ions, and when acceptors accept those electrons, they become negative ions. Atoms near that depletion zone are immobile, and this recombining of the electrons and holes makes those atoms ionized and this creates that electric field? And because there are no charge carriers there, this is called depletion zone?

Am I thinking right here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds okay to me.

Filling a hole makes a negative ion and leaves behind a positive ion on the n-side. A space charge builds up, creating a depletion region which inhibits any further electron transfer unless it is helped by putting a forward bias on the junction.

For more details, see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/pnjun.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
I'm trying to understand P-N junctions as well.
I read a lot of explanations, but still there is one thing bothering me. Probably I should ask it in another topic, but still...
Can you please explain me this part:
when acceptors accept those electrons, they become negative ions
I don't understand - acceptors are atoms with electron lack (hole) correct? So it means that acceptor is positively charged. So when acceptor accepts an electron, it should become neutral, not negative.
Can you please point out what I'm missing?

Nikarus said:
Hi all,
I'm trying to understand P-N junctions as well.
I read a lot of explanations, but still there is one thing bothering me. Probably I should ask it in another topic, but still...
Can you please explain me this part:

I don't understand - acceptors are atoms with electron lack (hole) correct? So it means that acceptor is positively charged. So when acceptor accepts an electron, it should become neutral, not negative.
Can you please point out what I'm missing?

Both explanations (yours and the OP's) are somewhat incorrect.

The acceptor atom grabs a valence band electron from the normal Si lattice as soon as the p-type semiconductor is formed. So the acceptor ion is negative from the get go. Overall charge neutrality is maintained by the fact there is now a positively charged Si atom that is short of a valance electron (that is, what we call a hole) somewhere nearby.

The reason that a Hole is mobile, despite the fact that valance electrons are normally NOT mobile, is because although they (v-band electrons) don't have enough energy to get up and wander about the lattice like their conduction band counterparts do, they can however tunnel from an adjacent atom into the hole if one is close enough.

When an electron diffuses across from the N side of the junction it combines with a hole and so upsets the local charge neutrality that was previously maintained between the negative acceptor ion and the positive hole.

Hi uart,
Thank you very much for your explanation!
So, this means that molecule of p-type semiconductor is neutral but it has this mobile "positive charged" hole. And because of this, it can take a new electron and become negative ion.

I think I got it now. Thank you!

Nikarus said:
So, this means that molecule of p-type semiconductor is neutral but it has this mobile "positive charged" hole.
Yes, most of the Si atoms in the P material are neutral but a (relative) few have a net positive charge. These holes exactly balance the charge of the acceptor ions, all of which are negative.

And because of this, it can take a new electron and become negative ion.
The Si atoms with the positive charge (the holes) can take a new electron and become neutral, upsetting the local charge balance that was previously maintained between the +ive holes and the -ive acceptor ions.

1. What is a PN diode?

A PN diode is a type of semiconductor device that consists of a P-type material (with an excess of positively charged holes) and an N-type material (with an excess of negatively charged electrons) placed in contact with each other. This creates a depletion zone at the junction between the two materials.

2. What is the depletion zone in a PN diode?

The depletion zone is a region at the junction between the P-type and N-type materials in a PN diode where there are no free charge carriers. This is due to the diffusion of charge carriers from one material to the other, resulting in a depletion of charge carriers in that region.

3. How is the depletion zone formed in a PN diode?

The depletion zone is formed when a PN diode is forward-biased, meaning that a positive voltage is applied to the P-type material and a negative voltage is applied to the N-type material. This causes the electrons in the N-type material to move towards the positive voltage and the holes in the P-type material to move towards the negative voltage, resulting in the formation of the depletion zone at the junction.

4. What is the role of the depletion zone in a PN diode?

The depletion zone in a PN diode acts as a barrier to the flow of current in the reverse direction. This is because the depletion zone has a high resistance due to the absence of free charge carriers, preventing the flow of electric current. However, when the PN diode is forward-biased, the depletion zone becomes thinner and allows current to flow through the diode.

5. How does the width of the depletion zone affect the performance of a PN diode?

The width of the depletion zone is directly related to the reverse breakdown voltage of a PN diode. A wider depletion zone means a higher reverse breakdown voltage, which means the diode can withstand a higher reverse voltage without allowing current to flow through it. This is an important factor to consider when selecting a PN diode for a specific application.