How to start learning quantum physics

In summary: B%5BC%5D%20Quantum%20Mechanics%20Lecture%20Notes.pdf?dl=0In summary, this person wants to learn quantum mechanics but doesn't know where to start. They understand some concepts such as wave particle duality, and how all particles move through space as a Y wavefunction, which collapses into a definite particle when it is measured or interacts with something. They also know calculus, but want to learn more about the equations that explain. They found some online lecture notes that might be useful,
coolbeans777
Hi everybody, I've been wanting to learn quantum physics for quite some time, except I really don't know where to start. I already understand some of the concepts such as wave particle duality, and how all particles move through space as a Y wavefunction, which collapses into a definite particle when it is measured or interacts with something. I don't know calculus, but I do understand what derivatives are and how to find them. I want to learn not just concepts but the equations that explain. Are there any free books online that I can download?

Physics news on Phys.org
coolbeans777 said:
I don't know calculus

This could be a problem. Have you studied classical mechanics in any depth? If someone told you to write down the hamiltonian for hydrogen would you know what it looked like? If not, you should probably study classical mechanics first, otherwise everything is just going to be gibberish...

coolbeans777 said:
I want to learn not just concepts but the equations that explain. Are there any free books online that I can download?

The equations aren't going to make any sense if you don't understand the math behind them. If you want to learn quantum mechanics, you'd probably be best off learning some more math first. Calculus and linear algebra are some things you'll definitely want to have in your toolkit, and maybe differential equations as well, although it's not paramount. Once you have a strong mathematical foundation, applying that to quantum will be much easier (although still not necessarily easy).

Since you know some calculus, you might consider a standard "introductory modern physics" textbook which is aimed at students who have completed a first-year course in classical mechanics and electromagnetism, and an introductory calculus course. For example,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/013805715X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are others by e.g. Beiser, Tipler and Ohanian. These aren't free, of course, but you can find used copies which are cheaper than new ones.

I recently found these online lecture notes which might be useful, although they're not as detailed as a real textbook.

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in learning about quantum physics. It is a fascinating and complex field that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. As you mentioned, having a basic understanding of concepts such as wave-particle duality is a good starting point.

To truly understand quantum physics, it is important to have a solid understanding of calculus and linear algebra. These mathematical tools are essential for understanding the equations and concepts used in quantum mechanics. If you do not have a strong background in these areas, I recommend starting with some introductory courses or textbooks on calculus and linear algebra before delving into quantum physics.

In terms of resources, there are many free online resources available for learning about quantum physics. Some popular textbooks that are available for free online include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses on quantum physics through platforms like Coursera or edX.

I also recommend seeking out lectures and videos from reputable sources such as universities or scientific organizations. These can provide a more interactive and visual approach to learning about quantum physics.

Finally, I would advise finding a study group or a mentor who can help guide you through your learning journey. Quantum physics can be a challenging subject, and having someone to discuss concepts and equations with can greatly enhance your understanding.

I hope this helps guide you in your pursuit of learning quantum physics. Best of luck on your journey!

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is used to explain the behavior of particles that cannot be described by classical physics.

2. What do I need to know before starting to learn quantum physics?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. A basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism is also helpful.

3. How can I start learning quantum physics?

The best way to start learning quantum physics is by studying the fundamental principles and theories, such as wave-particle duality, superposition, and quantum entanglement. You can also enroll in online courses, read textbooks, and attend lectures or seminars.

4. Is quantum physics difficult to learn?

Quantum physics can be challenging to understand at first, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics and physics. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and grasp the concepts of quantum physics.

5. What are the practical applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has various practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like quantum computers, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as healthcare, telecommunications, and energy production.