Selecting a Spring for Machine Component - Requirements & Process

• Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the project involves selecting a spring for a machine component. The requirements for the spring include a free length of 20 inches, outer diameter of 3 inches, and the ability to stretch to 60 inches and provide 15 pounds of force. The process for selecting the spring should involve considering factors such as pitch, wire diameter, and material, and the provided link may be helpful for this.
2slowtogofast
I am doing a project for school and i need to select a spring for part of it.

Requirements of Spring:
1. Free length 20 in
2. Outer diameter 3 in
3. Has to be able to stretch to around 60 in
4 When streched to 60 in need to provide around 15lb force

I need to draw this for a component of a machine. so i have to decide on pitch, wire diameter, and material. Can some one give me an idea of a process i should follow or if i need to take other factors into consideration as well.

Engineering news on Phys.org
2slowtogofast said:
I am doing a project for school and i need to select a spring for part of it.

Requirements of Spring:
1. Free length 20 in
2. Outer diameter 3 in
3. Has to be able to stretch to around 60 in
4 When streched to 60 in need to provide around 15lb force

I need to draw this for a component of a machine. so i have to decide on pitch, wire diameter, and material. Can some one give me an idea of a process i should follow or if i need to take other factors into consideration as well.

it should help
http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/springs/spring_design.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a spring and why is it important for machine components?

A spring is a mechanical device that is typically made of metal and has the ability to store and release energy. It is important for machine components because it can absorb and distribute forces, provide flexibility, and maintain proper tension and pressure within a machine.

What are some key requirements to consider when selecting a spring for a machine component?

Some key requirements to consider when selecting a spring for a machine component include the size and shape of the spring, the material it is made of, the strength and durability needed for the specific application, and any environmental factors that may affect the spring's performance.

What is the process for selecting a spring for a machine component?

The process for selecting a spring for a machine component typically involves identifying the specific requirements and constraints of the application, determining the type and size of spring needed, selecting the appropriate material, and testing the spring to ensure it meets the necessary specifications.

How do I determine the appropriate size and type of spring for my machine component?

The size and type of spring needed for a machine component will depend on factors such as the load and deflection requirements, space limitations, and the type of force the spring will need to withstand. It is important to consult with a spring manufacturer or engineer to determine the best option for your specific application.

What are some common materials used for springs and their properties?

Some common materials used for springs include steel, stainless steel, and titanium. Steel springs are known for their strength and durability, while stainless steel springs offer corrosion resistance. Titanium springs are lightweight and have high strength-to-weight ratio. Other materials used for springs include copper, bronze, and plastics, each with their own unique properties and benefits.