Uniqueness of Splitting Fields

In summary, there are two theorems mentioned in the conversation. The first theorem states that if a polynomial p(x) in a field F[x] splits in an extension field K, then the splitting field of p(x) in K is the smallest subfield of K containing the roots of p(x). The second theorem states that the splitting field of a polynomial p(x) in a field F[x] is unique up to isomorphism. However, the speaker is confused as to why the first theorem is not enough to imply the second theorem. An example of two distinct but isomorphic splitting fields is given, and it is pointed out that the two fields are equal as they both contain the same roots of p(x). The speaker also
Euclid
In my class notes, I have two theorems which don't quite seem to fit together. Maybe you can help me out.
Thm 1 If p(x) in F[x] splits in K, then E=F(a1,...,an) is the splitting field of p(x) in K (the a_i's are the roots of p(x)).
Thm 2 If p(x) in F[x], then the splitting field of p(x) is unique up to isomorphism.
I'm clearly missing something big here. Doesn't (1) imply (2)? Isn't (1) even stronger than (2)?
What's an example of a polynomial with two distinct but isomorphic splitting fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking Thm 1 should state that E is *a* splitting field for p.

Thm 2 then states that this is essentially unique.

For instance, it is not obvious, but it is true, that

[tex] \mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{3},\sqrt{5}] \cong \mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{5}][/tex]

So that [tex]\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{5}][/tex] is the splitting field of

[tex](x^2-3)(x^2-5)[/tex] and isn't of the form you wrote.

Matt's point is that although you are right, the definition of the splitting field in K, makes it opbvious that there is only one such field IN K, there may be other splitting fields that are not in K.

Matt's example is a little misleading to me since it is the same field but just written with a different generator. It would persuade me more if he were to give an isomorphic splitting field not lying in the same ambient field, such as Q[X] modded out by the minimal polynomial of sqrt(3)+sqrt(5).

mathwonk said:
Matt's example is a little misleading to me since it is the same field but just written with a different generator. It would persuade me more if he were to give an isomorphic splitting field not lying in the same ambient field, such as Q[X] modded out by the minimal polynomial of sqrt(3)+sqrt(5).

Feel free to post a better example.

Ok... This is helping. I guess the problem is this:
Suppose we have a field F and two extension fields K and K' in which a polynomial p(x) splits. We have the splitting field E for p(x) in K and the splitting field E' for p(x) in K'.
The problem in my mind is that I'm tempted to say E=E'. I mean, when we mod out by a certain irreducible, we always view F as contained in the resulting field. But if K and K' both are extension fields, and we view them as containing F, then E and E' both contain F. E and E' are both supposedly the smallest subfields of K and K' containing the roots of p(x). But their intersection is a field contained in K and K', and containing the roots of p(x). So the intersection is in fact equal to E and E' and so E=E'.
This is why I'm troubled. I guess it's just a silly point. I know there are instances when splitting fields aren't actually equal, but it certainly seems obvious to me that they should be isomorphic (in your example above, it wasn't as obvious, but I think that's partly because it wasn't even obvious that that polynomial even splits in Q[root3+root5]). But the proof given in class was much more complex, and seemingly unnecessarily so.

Last edited:
The proof I know for the isomorphism of splitting fields is trivial, and roughly says what you just said, but in fewer words. Although that is probably a function of the order and style in which I learned the results. However, there is also the stronger result that splitting fields behave well with respect to field isomorphisms.

1. What is the significance of a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. It is important because it allows us to factor the polynomial completely, making it easier to solve equations and understand the behavior of the polynomial.

2. How is the uniqueness of splitting fields determined?

The uniqueness of splitting fields is determined by the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory. This theorem states that if two splitting fields share the same base field and contain the same set of roots, then they are isomorphic, meaning they are essentially the same field with different names for the elements.

3. Can a polynomial have more than one splitting field?

No, a polynomial can only have one splitting field. This is because the splitting field is uniquely determined by the polynomial and its roots. If a polynomial had more than one splitting field, it would contradict the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory.

4. How do splitting fields relate to field extensions?

A splitting field is a type of field extension, specifically a finite field extension. It is the smallest field extension that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. All other field extensions that share the same base field and contain the same roots are isomorphic to the splitting field.

5. Can every polynomial be factored completely in its splitting field?

Yes, every polynomial can be factored completely in its splitting field. This is because the splitting field is constructed specifically to contain all the roots of the polynomial. Therefore, the polynomial can be completely factored into linear factors in the splitting field.