Sorry! Yes, that was a typo. Thanks for catching it!

In summary, the conversation discusses two possible interpretations of an IFS converging to a subset S of the unit square. The first involves crossed diagonal lines with each iteration creating 5 new crosses. The second is seen as a knots and crosses grid, with 5 new grids being created at each iteration. The conversation also mentions the use of IFS software and the correct equations for the converging process.
Deadstar
Write down an IFS converging to the subset S of the unit square illustrated below.

[PLAIN]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2876/unledwcq.png

I have two ways I see this though.

First way is as a collection of crossed diagonal lines where at each iteration 5 new crosses are made.

2nd way is as a knots and crosses grid where at each iteration 5 new knots and crosses grids are created in the corners and centre of the old one (with the old one being deleted, although I think that's standard in IFS depending on the fractal...)

Which one, if any is correct?(also, I have this IFS software which I have just this minute figured out how it works so I'm testing a few things...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok after a bit of playing around I get...

z/3,
z/3 + 2/3,
z/3 + 1/3 + i/3,
z/3 + 2i/3,
z/3 + 2i/3 + 2i/3

I think I've finally got the hang of this... It's more a shrinking of boxes than a drawing of lines...

Deadstar said:
Ok after a bit of playing around I get...

z/3,
z/3 + 2/3,
z/3 + 1/3 + i/3,
z/3 + 2i/3,
z/3 + 2i/3 + 2i/3

Sounds good, but you probably made a typo in the last equation, it should be z/3+2/3+2i/3

1. What is an iterated function system (IFS)?

An iterated function system (IFS) is a mathematical concept used to describe the repeated application of a set of mathematical functions to generate complex fractal patterns. It involves transforming a geometric shape by applying a series of transformations, such as translations, rotations, and scaling, to create a self-similar pattern.

2. What are the applications of IFS?

IFS has a wide range of applications in various fields, including computer graphics, image compression, data compression, and pattern recognition. It is also used in the creation of artistic designs, such as fractal art.

3. How does an iterated function system work?

An IFS is based on the concept of self-similarity, where a complex pattern is made up of smaller copies of itself. The process starts with a set of initial points or shapes, and then a set of functions are applied to these points repeatedly. The resulting points are then used as the input for the next iteration, creating a more complex pattern with each iteration.

4. What is the difference between IFS and Mandelbrot set?

Both IFS and Mandelbrot set are mathematical concepts used to generate fractal patterns. However, the main difference between the two is that IFS uses a set of transformations to create self-similar patterns, while the Mandelbrot set uses a complex formula to generate fractals.

5. Can IFS be used to generate 3D fractals?

Yes, IFS can be extended to generate 3D fractals by applying transformations in three-dimensional space. This can result in more complex and visually stunning patterns. However, the process of generating 3D fractals using IFS is more computationally intensive and requires advanced mathematical techniques.