Hey guys,I'm looking for some sort of mosfet/relay/switch that can

• Thread starter petitericeball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hey Sort
In summary, DannyVoltage most certainly matters in relays--with very high voltages, you can get arc-over (which will deteriorate your contacts over time, assuming you don't have continuous arcing) or the contacts arc-welding together and not de-latching. To avoid these sorts of issues, I think most of these relays are either inert-gas filled or contain a vacuum. For lower voltage switching, you can use a step up transformer.
petitericeball
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some sort of mosfet/relay/switch that can handle up to 1 milliamp and 8kV. I don't understand the technology very well, but from talking to some people, I know I can put 2 4kV mosfets in series to achieve my 8kV goal. On the other hand, while looking for relays, I couldn't seem to pin any down. My friend said that voltage wouldn't matter in a relay, as long as the current isn't too high, but when looking on digikey, the relays had voltage ratings, where all of them were too low for my application.

Here is the 4kV mosfet

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=IXTV03N400S-ND

Thanks,

Danny

Engineering news on Phys.org
Voltage most certainly matters in relays--with very high voltages, you can get arc-over (which will deteriorate your contacts over time, assuming you don't have continuous arcing) or the contacts arc-welding together and not de-latching. To avoid these sorts of issues, I think most of these relays are either inert-gas filled or contain a vacuum.

I don't have a great deal of experience in the high-voltage switching regime (so hopefully someone with more experience weighs in), but I'd avoid trying to put multiple ones in series--at the point and moment of contact, you can have all of the high voltage across a single contact (or junction, if you're using a solid state relay / MOSFET).

When I Googled for high voltage relay, I found some by a unit or two that Tyco had acquired:
http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/high_volt.asp

Meder also seems to sell 10 and 15 kV rated reed switches:
http://www.meder.com/high-voltage-relays6.html

As expected, you're probably looking at a hefty price tag.

EDIT: Actually, when I clicked on the Meder "Check distributor stock" link, there are some 7k5 and 10k relays at Mouser / Digikey for <$100, and even less at TTI!
http://service.stkcheck.com/Default.aspx?mfg=b0629033-c213-4a47-aba9-65a840d82710&parts=H__

Last edited:

petitericeball said:
After looking around, I think I found some for around $30

I'd definitely spec for higher rather than lower voltage (the 10kV ones seem to be in the $40-$50 range, rather than the $30 range that most of the 7k or 7k5 ones sit at). TTI seems to have the cheapest for the Medco high voltage reed relays, but I've never used them before.

What is the switching frequency.
You can switch at lower voltage and use a step up transformer.

Have you looked at IGBTs.
Real high power switching is done with ignitrons.

What is a mosfet/relay/switch and what does it do?

A mosfet/relay/switch is an electronic component that is used to control the flow of electricity. It acts as a gate, allowing or blocking the flow of current in a circuit.

What is the difference between a mosfet, relay, and switch?

A mosfet is a type of transistor that is used for amplification and switching of electronic signals. A relay is an electromagnetic switch that is controlled by an external electrical signal. A switch is a simple component that manually controls the flow of electricity.

What is the purpose of using a mosfet/relay/switch?

These components are used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electricity, allowing for the switching on or off of devices or systems. They can also be used for amplification or as a protective measure against overloading.

What are some common applications of mosfet/relay/switch?

Mosfets are commonly used in power supplies, amplifiers, and electronic switches. Relays are often used in control circuits, such as in automobiles and industrial machinery. Switches are used in a wide range of electronic devices, from household appliances to computer systems.

How do I choose the right mosfet/relay/switch for my project?

The choice of mosfet/relay/switch depends on the specific requirements of your project, such as the voltage and current ratings, switching speed, and type of load. It is important to consult the datasheet and consider the application to select the most suitable component.