How can I estimate the bending stress for a hollow tube under uniform load?

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in finding the bending stress of a hollow tube with specific dimensions and load conditions. They mention using FEA and ask for suggestions or ideas, and someone suggests using Castigliano's method or treating the bends as rigid and pin-jointed for an easier solution.
parch
Dear All,

Please see the picture. I need to find the bending stress for that profile.

Its hollow tube dia= 38 mm, 4 mm thick. its is acted with udl of 500 N/m2 on its outer surface.
How can I estimate the bending stress, deformation. Assume it as mild steel with E = 200 Gpa, poission ratio = 0.3.

I am trying to validate this with FEA in 3d.
Kindly share your ideas. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• pipe.png
    pipe.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 471
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's statically indeterminate so you can use a method for those types of problems. Maybe Castigliano's.

Or, you could get upper and lower bounds by treating the bends as rigid and pin-jointed. Then it's an easy simply supported beam problem.

1. What is bending stress in pipe_2d?

Bending stress in pipe_2d is the stress that occurs in a pipe when it is subjected to a bending moment. This stress is caused by the internal pressure of the fluid inside the pipe and the external forces acting on the pipe.

2. How is bending stress in pipe_2d calculated?

Bending stress in pipe_2d can be calculated using the formula σ = M*y/I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia of the pipe cross-section.

3. What factors affect the bending stress in pipe_2d?

The bending stress in pipe_2d is affected by the material properties of the pipe such as its elasticity and yield strength, the magnitude of the bending moment, the geometry of the pipe, and the internal pressure of the fluid.

4. How does bending stress in pipe_2d impact the structural integrity of the pipe?

Bending stress in pipe_2d can cause the pipe to deform or even fail if it exceeds the yield strength of the material. It can also lead to cracks or fractures in the pipe, compromising its structural integrity and potentially causing leaks or other issues.

5. How can bending stress in pipe_2d be reduced?

Bending stress in pipe_2d can be reduced by using materials with higher yield strength, increasing the pipe's thickness, or decreasing the magnitude of the external forces. Proper installation and support of the pipe can also help to reduce bending stress.