How important is an internship, or vacation work for an aspiring programmer

In summary, the speaker is a second year Computer Science student who is starting to think about employment after graduation. They have no idea what kind of job they want, but have chosen Computational Maths as their major. They have prior work experience, but not in the software field. They are considering a 4-6 week vacation placement at a big corporate company to gain experience and overcome their shyness. They are also considering working on open source projects to gain experience. The speaker received advice to try for summer positions at a research agency and is excited about the opportunity. Overall, the speaker is seeking more experience and is open to different opportunities to gain it.
Adyssa
I'm 2nd year of 3 into my CompSci degree, and just (!) starting to think about employment after I graduate. I've been ... lost ... shall we say for a good long time, back at uni after a long break, enjoying it, working hard etc ... but I have no idea what I want to do when I finish, except that I've chosen Computational Maths for my major and I think I would like to do something with a science / r&d slant, as opposed to say, writing games, or web apps, or business software.

I have prior work experience, but not in the software field. I worked my way up in a warehouse from storeman to "hey you, fix the computer", to "hey you, fix all the computers and manage the server, the network and the website" to "hey you, here's a few million $ of international freight, ship it, land it and cost it, and fix the computers as well!" So I understand, to some extent, how to work in a real company (it was a small company) but I have no experience working with a team of programmers, using a proper tool chain, etc

So my question is, how important, or well regarded, is a 4-6 week vacation placement at a big corporate? I assume it will be very hard to get, my GPA is around 3.2 as far as I can figure it, and I'm terribly shy which won't do me any good in the interview but I'm willing to swallow that and have a go, if it's really worth it. I'm also a bit worried that the position won't be paid, and I might have to live on a whole lot of not much while I do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should definitely TRY to get a paid internship or some kind of work experience over the summer, personally, i don't know how important it is to, but for any kind of job, the more experience the better (well most jobs).

If you can't manage to find any kind of work you could do projects at home, a friend of mine hires software developers and he says that the ones he hires are the ones who code for fun, not because they have to kinda thing. So at least look at some open source projects, pick a program which you think could be improved, and do your own improvements on it, just don't do nothing.

Best of luck.

Adyssa said:
So I understand, to some extent, how to work in a real company (it was a small company) but I have no experience working with a team of programmers, using a proper tool chain, etc

I think you do, you just don't realize it. A lot of it is "Hey you fix the #$@# software."

So my question is, how important, or well regarded, is a 4-6 week vacation placement at a big corporate?

It will be useful. You probably won't learn any programming that you can learn elsewhere, but you'll learn a ton about software design methodology and project politics and management.

I remember at one big company that I worked at, the summer interns arrived right about the time that we suspected that the head office was going to stab us all in the back, close our office, and fire half of us, which they ended up doing. We got almost no work done, but the interns got a real good education.

I'm terribly shy which won't do me any good in the interview but I'm willing to swallow that and have a go, if it's really worth it.

If it will help with overcoming your shyness, it will be worth the effort. Part of overcoming shyness in an interview is to do it often enough.

I'm also a bit worried that the position won't be paid, and I might have to live on a whole lot of not much while I do it.

One good/bad thing about big companies is that are big bureaucratic institutions.

Sometimes it's a good thing to be big and bureaucratic since I doubt the lawyers in a large company will allow it to have people work for free, out of justified fear that they would face lawsuits for hell for violating labor regulations.

One thing that happened was that we had an intern that was almost finished with a project and we asked if he could stay an extra day or two unpaid to finish up and the answer from legal and HR was absolutely not.

Thanks for the comments!

synkk said:
If you can't manage to find any kind of work you could do projects at home, a friend of mine hires software developers and he says that the ones he hires are the ones who code for fun, not because they have to kinda thing. So at least look at some open source projects, pick a program which you think could be improved, and do your own improvements on it, just don't do nothing.

This is something I was thinking about last semester, a project that I could contribute to. I spent some time today looking around sourceforge and github and found a fractal generator that interests me, so I'm going to have a look at the code this weekend. I've had a go at a Mandelbrot generator before, it was great fun, and I've learned some OpenGL since then ^.^

Coincidentally I received an email from my dept. yesterday advising me (well, all the CS students) to try for summer positions at CSIRO (Australian Science / Research Agency) , so that was timely, and exciting (!) I'd love to have a look at what they do there!

Thanks for your insights twofish-quant, some good info, and a few of my fears alleviated. :)

I can say that internships or vacation work are extremely important for an aspiring programmer. In fact, they are crucial for gaining practical experience and developing the necessary skills to succeed in the field. Your prior work experience may have given you some valuable transferable skills, but it is not specific to the software industry.

Internships and vacation work provide you with the opportunity to work in a real-world setting, with a team of experienced programmers, using industry-standard tools and techniques. This kind of experience is invaluable and will give you a better understanding of what it takes to be a successful programmer. It will also help you build your network and make connections in the industry, which can be beneficial for future job opportunities.

Additionally, having a placement at a big corporate will not only add weight to your resume, but it will also give you a chance to see how companies operate and what kind of projects they work on. This will help you gain a better understanding of the different career paths available in the software industry and help you make an informed decision about your future.

I understand your concerns about the difficulty of getting an internship and the potential for it to be unpaid. However, the experience and skills you gain from an internship can greatly outweigh the challenges. It is also worth noting that many internships do offer a stipend or some form of compensation.

In terms of your shyness, I would encourage you to work on your communication and interpersonal skills. These are important for any career, and an internship can be a great opportunity to develop them. You can also consider reaching out to your university's career center for resources and tips on how to improve your interview skills.

In summary, as a scientist, I highly recommend pursuing an internship or vacation work in the software industry. It will provide you with valuable experience, skills, and connections that will greatly benefit your future career as a programmer. Good luck!

1. How important is an internship or vacation work for an aspiring programmer?

An internship or vacation work is extremely important for an aspiring programmer. It provides hands-on experience in a professional setting, allowing them to apply the knowledge they have learned in their studies. It also gives them the opportunity to learn new skills and techniques from experienced professionals.

2. What are the benefits of completing an internship or vacation work as a programmer?

Completing an internship or vacation work as a programmer has numerous benefits. It can help build a strong portfolio and increase job prospects after graduation. It also allows for networking opportunities, gaining industry knowledge, and developing practical skills that cannot be learned in a classroom setting.

3. Can an internship or vacation work lead to a full-time job as a programmer?

Yes, completing an internship or vacation work can definitely lead to a full-time job as a programmer. Many companies use internships as a way to recruit future employees. If you perform well during your internship, it can lead to a job offer or at the very least, a strong reference for future job applications.

4. How can an internship or vacation work help me stand out in the job market as a programmer?

An internship or vacation work can help you stand out in the job market as a programmer by showing potential employers that you have practical experience in a professional setting. It also demonstrates your dedication and passion for the field, as well as your ability to work in a team and solve real-world problems.

5. Is it necessary to have an internship or vacation work experience to get a job as a programmer?

While it is not always necessary to have internship or vacation work experience to get a job as a programmer, it can greatly improve your chances. Employers often look for candidates with some form of practical experience, and having an internship or vacation work on your resume can make you a more competitive candidate in the job market.