Trigonometry Textbook - Get Prepared for Calculus

In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's desire to study trigonometry in preparation for a calculus course. They were seeking recommendations for textbooks and were advised to use their precalculus textbook or a public domain text from Google Books. The speaker was also reassured that a basic understanding of trigonometry is sufficient for Calculus I.
Bogrune
Hey everyone!

I want to study trigonometry thoroughly without having to take the course, mostly since I'm taking Precalculus this semester and I'll be learning most of the principles of trigonometry in this course. I want to study it carefully so that I can get myself better prepared for Calculus, and I thought it would be a good idea if I buy myself a used textbook and study it over Thanksgiving and winter break. Is there a good textbook anyone would reccomend me to read? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never seen a precalculus textbook that didn't have an extensive section on trig, starting pretty much from scratch, so probably the best use of your time would be to just read those chapters in the text you'll be using for precalc. Anything unclear can probably be resolved very quickly with Google.

In the unlikely event your text does not cover trig, then get a precalc text that does. Stewart, Larson, and Swokowski are three I know of that are good.

Or go to Google Books and download anyone of several public domain texts from a hundred years ago. You'll probably learn more about trig applications, like surveying and navigation, than in a modern course. You can safely skip the sections on using tables to find function values, though.

Last edited:
You don't need an extensive knowledge of Trigonometry to survive Calculus I. You just need to know the basic trig functions and their identities.

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles. It is commonly used to solve problems involving right triangles and to model periodic phenomena.

2. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is important because it has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts, such as calculus.

3. What topics are typically covered in a trigonometry textbook?

A trigonometry textbook will typically cover topics such as angles, right triangles, trigonometric functions, identities, graphs, and applications of trigonometry in real-world scenarios.

4. How can studying trigonometry help prepare for calculus?

Studying trigonometry can help prepare for calculus by providing a solid understanding of key concepts such as functions, graphs, and trigonometric identities. These concepts are essential for understanding the more complex topics covered in calculus.

5. Is a trigonometry textbook necessary for learning trigonometry?

While it is possible to learn trigonometry through online resources or other methods, a textbook can provide a structured and comprehensive approach to learning the subject. It also allows for practice problems and exercises to reinforce understanding and prepare for calculus.