Proper Way to Remove Retaining Ring

• Thread starter rnabioullin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the proper way to remove a retaining ring without lug holes is to use a C-clip remover. However, it can also be removed using needle-nose pliers or a small screwdriver. It is important to be cautious as the clip may go flying. Another method is to grab the back side of the clip with tiny needlenose pliers.
rnabioullin
This is more of a practical question - what is the proper way to remove the retaining ring shown below? Note that it does not contain lug holes, so I am not sure whether retaining/snap-ring or circlip pliers would be capable of removing the ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The right way is using a C-clip remover. The easy way is with safety glasses and needle-nose pliers or a small screwdriver.

Whatever way you remove it at some stage it will go spoing and you'll spend the next 47 minutes on your hands and knees looking for it.

That is commonly called an "e-clip". They slide on/off the shaft sideways.

Removal can be accomplished two ways:
1. E-clip removal tools push against the legs (radially or perpendicular to the shaft). Small needle-nose pliers can be used if the clip is large enough.
vw-heater-remove-eclip-thumb.jpg

1. Insert a small blade screwdriver is into one of the open spaces and twist.
UWCaseCleaning_0008_thumb.jpg

Drape a rag over the assembly as you are removing the clip, to avoid Jobra's all-too-common scenario. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good response, pantaz, and good illustrations. I use another method, too, if I can. Grab the back side of the clip (away from the open end) with a tiny pair of needlenose pliers and just pull it off the shaft. A co-worker gave me a Sears gift certificate one year, and I used it on this set of mini-tools. They get 'way more use than I ever expected.

tools_nocont.jpg

Last edited:

1. How do you remove a retaining ring without damaging it?

To properly remove a retaining ring without causing damage, you should use a retaining ring pliers designed specifically for this purpose. These pliers have small, pointed tips that fit into the holes on the retaining ring and allow you to easily compress and remove it without bending or distorting it.

2. Can I reuse a retaining ring after removing it?

It depends on the condition of the retaining ring after removal. If the ring appears to be in good shape without any signs of wear or damage, it can be reused. However, if there are any visible deformities or wear, it is best to replace the retaining ring to ensure proper function.

3. Do I need to lubricate the retaining ring before removing it?

In most cases, lubrication is not necessary when removing a retaining ring. However, if the ring is extremely tight or difficult to remove, a small amount of lubricant can help ease the process. Be sure to use a lubricant that is safe for use with the material of the retaining ring.

4. How do I know which size retaining ring to use?

The size of the retaining ring needed will depend on the specific application for which it is being used. It is important to measure the shaft or bore diameter accurately and choose a retaining ring that is slightly smaller than the measured size to ensure a secure fit.

5. Can I remove a retaining ring without any tools?

It is not recommended to try and remove a retaining ring without the proper tools. Using tools such as pliers or retaining ring removal tools ensures that the ring is removed safely and without causing damage. Attempting to remove the ring without tools can lead to injury or damage to the retaining ring or surrounding components.