Solving Pallet Breakage with Physics: Freight Industry

• Thread starter hiphooray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution for pallet breakage in the freight industry. One idea is to round the edges of the pallet to reduce friction and prevent it from catching on the truck floor. However, the effectiveness of this solution depends on whether the pallet breaks due to catching or friction alone. The best way to convince management to implement this solution is by presenting statistics and showing the cost savings compared to the cost of modifications. Other solutions mentioned include using different materials or adding skid plates to the bottom of the pallet.
hiphooray
Hello,
I work in the freight industry and I am trying to find a solution to pallet breakage. Here is the problem.
A pallet sometimes is longer than the truck is wide. e.g. L=109" W=48" when we load it we manipulate it with 2 forklifts and slide it in Lengthwise. This means sliding the pallet on a wooden truck floor and sometimes the pallet breaks down and the product gets damaged.
Therefore I am thinking of finding a solution with the shipper and tweaking the pallet just a bit.
Pallets are made of 2x4s with 90 degree edges and I was thinking for a cheap resolution we could round the edges so it makes a sled type shape. It seems if we put it on a sled may reduce damage. What do you think? is there any type of math that goes along with that? so I can "prove" it to upper management? Do I need to explain myself more? send pictures?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rounding the ends may help, if the pallet is breaking when it catches on the truck floor.
Another option would be to see if you can get pallets made with 4X4s. or adding PTFE or polypropylene skid plates on the bottom of the pallet.

It depends on whether the pallet breaks because it got caught, or if friction alone is sufficient to do damage. If it gets caught, rounding edges trivially resolves the problem. But if it's due to friction, I don't think it will help.

Unfortunately, the only way to prove it to management is with statistics. First step would be presenting statistics showing that it's a significant problem that needs to be addressed. Second step would be to prepare a number of modified pallets, and keeping track of how these break compared to regular pallets. If you show that costs saved by modification exceed costs of modifications by significant margin, it will be all the evidence management would need, and the only kind they'd be willing to listen to.

That is one good thing about management types, they are usually impressed with simple numbers like how this pallet breakage effects the cost of goods sold. The smaller the quantity of what you are shipping, the better this discussion looks.
If I run a business that builds and delivers large expensive widgets.
My plant makes say 100 widgets a month, and costs $10M a month in labor, material, and overhead.
I sell widgets for $.5M each that cost me $.1M to make.
If I lose 2 units a month to broken pallets, I have reduced my profits from $40M to $38M.
$2M a month should pay for some good pallets.
You can also charge your customer a deposit on the pallet,(and pay for return shipping)
If it does not come back, the cost is written off on you taxes.

You may be able to reduce the friction by placing another material in between the truck bed and the pallet. Maybe a sheet of metal for it to slide on?

If this idea is actually practical, it should have a very simple mathematical proof.

F = uN F = frictional force, u(technically the greek letter mu) = coeffecient of friction between two surface, and N = normal force(essentially the force of weight in most cases)

To change the frictional force(I assume this is what is damaging the pallets), you would have to either change u or N. You probably can't just take the product off the pallet(wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the pallet?), so the only other option is to change u. In order to change u, one of the contacting and sliding materials has to be changed.

A more bizarre, less realistic way is to provide a little conveyor belt thing. Maybe you could place it on the bed of the truck, and place the pallet on top of it. Then slide the pallet over, and try to pull the conveyor out. The main problem I see is taking the conveyor thing out from under the pallet. But an idea is still an idea, no matter how ridiculous it sounds at first.

1. What is pallet breakage and why is it a problem in the freight industry?

Pallet breakage refers to the damage or breakage of pallets, which are wooden or plastic platforms used to support and transport goods. In the freight industry, pallet breakage can lead to significant financial losses due to damaged goods, delays in delivery, and additional costs for replacement pallets. It can also pose safety hazards for workers and damage to equipment.

2. How can physics be applied to solve pallet breakage in the freight industry?

Physics can be used to understand the forces and stresses acting on pallets during transportation and storage. By analyzing these forces, engineers can design more durable and efficient pallets, as well as develop better methods for securing and stacking pallets. This can help reduce the risk of pallet breakage and improve the overall efficiency of the freight industry.

3. What are some common causes of pallet breakage in the freight industry?

There are several common causes of pallet breakage, including overloading, improper stacking, and inadequate pallet design. Other factors such as vibrations, temperature changes, and rough handling during transportation can also contribute to pallet breakage. Identifying and addressing these causes can help prevent pallet breakage and improve the integrity of the goods being transported.

4. How can companies in the freight industry prevent and minimize pallet breakage?

Companies can take several measures to prevent and minimize pallet breakage, including investing in high-quality and properly designed pallets, training employees on proper handling and stacking techniques, and using specialized equipment such as stretch wrap and pallet jacks. Regular inspections and maintenance of pallets and equipment can also help identify and address potential issues before they lead to breakage.

5. How can the use of physics in solving pallet breakage benefit the freight industry?

The use of physics in solving pallet breakage can bring several benefits to the freight industry. It can lead to the development of more durable and efficient pallets, which can reduce costs for companies and improve the safety of workers. Additionally, by addressing the root causes of pallet breakage, it can help improve the overall efficiency and reliability of the freight industry, leading to better customer satisfaction and increased competitiveness in the market.