Floating Particles that are visible in the air question

In summary, the conversation is about the presence of swirling particles in the air that are visible to the eye in certain lighting conditions. The individual asking the question has noticed a change in the particle patterns after switching to a different type of light bulb and is wondering if this is normal. Other participants in the conversation suggest that the particles may be caused by eye floaters or closed-eye hallucinations, but the individual is adamant that these particles are distinct from those phenomena. They plan on asking an optometrist for more information.
Hfeline
I wasn't quite sure where to ask this. If you've looked closely at the wall, you'll have noticed particles in the air that kinda swirl like static. So usually, it's pretty uniform, but I got a fluorescent bulbs today, and the air particles that usually just scramble about, look like they are flowing down off the lamp shade like a waterfall. Anyone know if this is normal?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hfeline said:
I wasn't quite sure where to ask this. If you've looked closely at the wall, you'll have noticed particles in the air that kinda swirl like static. So usually, it's pretty uniform, but I got a fluorescent bulbs today, and the air particles that usually just scramble about, look like they are flowing down off the lamp shade like a waterfall. Anyone know if this is normal?

Your changing to a different type of light bulb (heat source) has probably changed the air circulation patterns around your lamp. With this change, comes a change in the flow patterns of dust particles in the air (you cannot see air "particles"). I doubt that there is anything "abnormal" about it.

Just so you know, I don't mean the tingle molts floating on the air that are reflective in the sunlight or any light really. I mean the tiny things that you see if you just look. They are visible if you take the time to notice them, but hardly what I'd call important. It's the swirling stuff that you see between between you and a surface, and it's obscured if you look at a TV or a monitor screen. I just used particles because I don't really know what to call them.

Hfeline said:
Just so you know, I don't mean the tingle molts floating on the air that are reflective in the sunlight or any light really. I mean the tiny things that you see if you just look. They are visible if you take the time to notice them, but hardly what I'd call important. It's the swirling stuff that you see between between you and a surface, and it's obscured if you look at a TV or a monitor screen. I just used particles because I don't really know what to call them.

Are you referring to the floaters in your eye? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater
Otherwise I don't know what you mean by this.

By the way, I am amazed that Floater is the actual name and address of the article, not something like Floater(eye) or whatnot...

little scrambling things color red, yellow, blue that appear in the air. Not the thing stuck to your eye. It's like television static, but colored and visible in the air. How to say... you look at a solid stationary object... You don't really need to adjust your vision, but you should see collection of red, yellow, blue particles too small to be dust molts, non-reflective in the light. I'm going to try some stuff.

In the dark, they are visible. Even in complete darkness, including full adaptation to the dark. Little red, yellow, blue pigments are visible in the air.

I think you should go see an optometrist. I don't think I've ever had those.

Nor have I.

Drakkith said:
Are you referring to the floaters in your eye? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater
Otherwise I don't know what you mean by this.

By the way, I am amazed that Floater is the actual name and address of the article, not something like Floater(eye) or whatnot...

Wow you just answered a serious question I have been asking LOL

Hfeline said:
In the dark, they are visible. Even in complete darkness, including full adaptation to the dark. Little red, yellow, blue pigments are visible in the air.

Wow! That certainly beats counting sheep. Readers, have any of you experienced this phenomena?

Maybe the smart guys are too smart to understand. This is something that has been with me my entire life, so I never questioned it. Maybe I'm seeing the air, something which is essentially impossible without a powerful telescope. Or not... Visibility wise, maybe I should ask Opt. It sounds cheap, but since I have to pick up some groceries, I'll make check out a few places.

Perhaps it is the heat of the bulb creating the convection.

Hfeline said:

Are you referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-eye_hallucination" [Broken] (that can also happen in the dark)?
Hfeline said:
Maybe the smart guys are too smart to understand. This is something that has been with me my entire life, so I never questioned it. Maybe I'm seeing the air, something which is essentially impossible without a powerful telescope. Or not... Visibility wise, maybe I should ask Opt. It sounds cheap, but since I have to pick up some groceries, I'll make check out a few places.

I'm not sure your tone is appropriate here.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the problem with text. I say something, and depending on your mood, you can take as a joke or as an insult. It isn't meant as an insult. I actually have great respect or I wouldn't ask or come back. I don't blame you doubting me tho.

It isn't any different light or dark. The difference is that the static is in front of the darkness instead of the object I'm looking at. But finding out that others don't see something that I see kinda makes me want to know what exactly I'm seeing, and why I'm seeing it. I have to work tomorrow, but the day after, I'll check some places.

Hfeline said:
That's the problem with text. I say something, and depending on your mood, you can take as a joke or as an insult. It isn't meant as an insult. I actually have great respect or I wouldn't ask or come back. I don't blame you doubting me tho.

Yep. Always make it plainly obvious what you mean or people will take it to mean 100 different things.

Hfeline said:

I see, I agree with Drakkith that this is why it is important to be crystal clear because without body language, tone of voice etc it's very hard to tell. Remember as well that this is an international forum and for some people they may be reading not in their native language.
Hfeline said:
It isn't any different light or dark. The difference is that the static is in front of the darkness instead of the object I'm looking at. But finding out that others don't see something that I see kinda makes me want to know what exactly I'm seeing, and why I'm seeing it. I have to work tomorrow, but the day after, I'll check some places.

Sounds like CEH to me, one of the common images looks a little like this
Red-blue-noise.gif

Though you should still get it checked out if you're worried.

ryan_m_b said:
Red-blue-noise.gif

Though you should still get it checked out if you're worried.

I have this. If I really pay attention to my vision there is a slight static or noise. In the dark it is much more noticeable.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I have this. If I really pay attention to my vision there is a slight static or noise. In the dark it is much more noticeable.

Everyone has this to some extent but its interesting that few people ever remark on it! If you stare at something like a blank wall for a while you will notice it clearly. Though of course it bothers some more than others.

Hahaha this is pretty funny. I noticed this a while back and it has always bothered me not knowing why I was seeing some little stuff while looking up in the air.

Now the funny part is, it never bothered my enough to actually look up if I was the only one seeing those little things. So yesterday I was looking up at the sky again and thought maybe I should check into it...and voila...here it is!

Thanks for creating this thread! :)

ryan_m_b said:
Everyone has this to some extent but its interesting that few people ever remark on it! If you stare at something like a blank wall for a while you will notice it clearly. Though of course it bothers some more than others.

Yeah, I for one have never noticed that effect. :biggrin:

I'm not too worried, about my vision since I noticed this when I was a kid. What does CEH stand for? (I don't think it refers to ethical hackers (j/k)) That picture perfect demonstrates what I had a hard time explaining.
Thanks for creating this thread! :)
I'm glad you found this useful.

I wonder if this could be used. Like say if you could see steam in darkness. Yea, it looks like a collection of white clustering when I walk in the dark, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Hfeline said:
I'm not too worried, about my vision since I noticed this when I was a kid. What does CEH stand for? (I don't think it refers to ethical hackers (j/k)) That picture perfect demonstrates what I had a hard time explaining.

I'm glad you found this useful.

I wonder if this could be used. Like say if you could see steam in darkness. Yea, it looks like a collection of white clustering when I walk in the dark, but maybe that's just my imagination.

CEH = Closed eye hallucinations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-eye_hallucination

I have something similar to what you describe, but I wouldn't call it a CEH because I see it when my eyes are open too. But when my eyes are open I rarely "see" it, I just filter it out.

But mine varies all the time. When it gets really really bad, it's hard to filter and it's pretty annoying. My doctor said it's a variant of a migraine (migraine aura without headache).

Ryan_m_b said:
Red-blue-noise.gif
I see something very like this when I open my eyes in a pitch dark room.

Ryan_m_b said:

it can be a handy thing to focus on when trying to fall asleep. like rain on a tin roof for your eyes, i guess.

I have seen these exact same orbs floating around in the sky. I first noticed it when I had been awake for 24hrs. with no rest, but once I saw the orbs I began to see them every single day, and still see them. Since I took notice to these orbs I've also been able to see the orbs in solid objects as well.

1. What are floating particles that are visible in the air?

Floating particles that are visible in the air are tiny, solid or liquid substances that are suspended in the air. They can range in size from nanometers to micrometers and can be made up of various materials such as dust, pollen, smoke, and pollutants.

2. Where do these floating particles come from?

Floating particles can come from a variety of sources, including natural processes like wind and volcanic eruptions, as well as human activities such as burning fossil fuels, industrial processes, and construction activities.

3. Are these floating particles harmful?

Some floating particles can be harmful to human health, especially those that are small enough to be inhaled into the lungs. These particles can potentially cause respiratory issues and exacerbate existing conditions like asthma and allergies. However, the level of harm depends on the type of particle and the concentration in the air.

4. How can we reduce the presence of these floating particles?

To reduce the presence of floating particles in the air, we can take steps to limit our impact on the environment and reduce our emissions of pollutants. This can include using cleaner sources of energy, properly disposing of waste, and reducing our overall consumption of resources.

5. Can these floating particles affect the environment?

Yes, floating particles can have an impact on the environment. They can contribute to air pollution, which can harm plants and animals, as well as contribute to climate change. Additionally, certain particles can settle on surfaces and affect water quality.