Relative Motion and Two-Dimensional Motion

In summary, the package takes a total of 8.8 seconds to reach the ground and hits the ground with a velocity of 9.7 m/s at an angle of 37.6° below the horizontal. This is calculated by adding the package's initial velocity relative to the blimp (4.5 m/s) to the blimp's ascending velocity (7.6 m/s) and using vector addition to find the package's velocity relative to the ground.
shortman12012

Homework Statement

A blimp is ascending at the rate of 7.6 m/s at a height of 67 m above the ground when a package is thrown from its cockpit horizontally with a speed of 4.5 m/s.
(a) How long does it take for the package to reach the ground?(b) With what velocity (magnitude and direction) does it hit the ground?
magnitude
direction ° below the horizontal

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to start this problem exactly. I know I'll have to use vectors and add them up but i just need some help setting up the problem please

Physics news on Phys.org
shortman12012 said:

Homework Statement

A blimp is ascending at the rate of 7.6 m/s at a height of 67 m above the ground when a package is thrown from its cockpit horizontally with a speed of 4.5 m/s.
(a) How long does it take for the package to reach the ground?

(b) With what velocity (magnitude and direction) does it hit the ground?
magnitude
direction ° below the horizontal

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to start this problem exactly. I know I'll have to use vectors and add them up but i just need some help setting up the problem please
Well, what is the package's initial velocity?

well i know the package's initial velocity is 4.5 m/s. I'm just not sure how to combine both the movement of the blimp and then calculating the velocity of the package as well

shortman12012 said:
well i know the package's initial velocity is 4.5 m/s.
Not quite.
shortman12012 said:
I'm just not sure how to combine both the movement of the blimp and then calculating the velocity of the package as well
The package's initial velocity is the sum of its velocity relative to the blimp and the blimp's velocity.

so would it be
Velocity of package to ground = velocity of package to blimp + velocity of blimp to the ground?
V(PG) = V(PB) + V(BG)
then i just use vector addition and get the velocity for V(PG)?

shortman12012 said:
so would it be
Velocity of package to ground = velocity of package to blimp + velocity of blimp to the ground?
V(PG) = V(PB) + V(BG)
then i just use vector addition and get the velocity for V(PG)?
Yes :smile:

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the perspective of the observer and how their motion affects their perception of the object's motion.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to an object's movement in relation to an external, fixed reference point. Relative motion, on the other hand, is based on an observer's perspective and their own motion relative to the object in question.

3. Can an object have both relative and absolute motion?

Yes, an object can have both relative and absolute motion. For example, a person sitting on a train may have a relative motion to the train as they move with it, but they also have an absolute motion in relation to the ground outside the train.

4. What is two-dimensional motion?

Two-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object along two axes, typically the x and y axes. This type of motion is often seen in projectile motion or when an object moves in a curved path.

5. How do you calculate the velocity of an object in two-dimensional motion?

The velocity of an object in two-dimensional motion can be calculated by finding the object's speed and direction. This can be done by using vector analysis, which takes into account the magnitude and direction of the object's motion along each axis.