Is Hollywood's Portrayal of the CIA Accurate?

• Thread starter Hyperspace2
  • Start date
In summary: It's a think tank and their job is to provide the president and others with an objective assessment of the intelligence community's performance. They have a lot of clout but are ultimately just a sounding board. They don't make policy.
Hyperspace2
Is it powerful as shown in hollywood movies like enemy of the state , bourne series and many more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

CIA in Hollywood movies has about as much to do with reality as Star Wars with Apollo missions.

If they do their work right, you'll never know.

Hyperspace2 said:
Is it powerfull as shown in hollywood movies like enemy of the sate , bourne series and many more

No, absolutely not.

I'm a military brat and have known my share of spooks including my best friend's father. Hollywood exaggerates some things and down plays others. The CIA is just one of many intelligence agencies and they're actually more of the public face of the intelligence community then the covert ops division. Their specialty is organizing all the data collected and you can even visit their website which has one of the largest data bases in the world.

The real spooky characters are the NSA (affectionately called "No Such Agency") and whatever other organizations might exist that nobody knows about. They're set up at the pentagon where the lines between the military and intelligence community become blurred. The sheer size of all these combined assets is mind boggling and its difficult to underestimate their power.

To put this into perspective, the pentagon budget alone is equal to that of the entire government of most countries and the US military is equal to the next seven largest in the world combined. The old Soviet Union is estimated to have recruited one in twenty citizens to spy on each other. Talk about your inescapable inhumane bureaucratic machines! These are not people you can easily keep secrets from and they're not to be trifled with.

They can't hold a candle to Mosad. Especially when both are in the same movie. On the other hand, you probably read it yourself in Computer Week before the KGB finds out about it. The Aruban spy agency is the best party agency for the 15th year running according to our staff. The Chinese spy agency is so good that no one even knows the name of it. You don't hear much about the Bora Bora spy agency but since they took UARS out, that may change.

Jimmy Snyder said:
They can't hold a candle to Mosad. Especially when both are in the same movie. On the other hand, you probably read it yourself in Computer Week before the KGB finds out about it. The Aruban spy agency is the best party agency for the 15th year running according to our staff. The Chinese spy agency is so good that no one even knows the name of it. You don't hear much about the Bora Bora spy agency but since they took UARS out, that may change.

What about Absolut?

Who guards the guardians?

The NSA is NOT set up at the Pentagon ... they have a huge complex out at Ft. Meade, Md.

wuliheron said:
The real spooky characters are the NSA (affectionately called "No Such Agency") and whatever other organizations might exist that nobody knows about. They're set up at the pentagon where the lines between the military and intelligence community become blurred. The sheer size of all these combined assets is mind boggling and its difficult to underestimate their power...

These are not people you can easily keep secrets from and they're not to be trifled with.

When I first became interested in the UFO phenomena, it quickly became evident that the best source of information on this subject is the NSA. When the internet came along, as one might guess based on the links provided in S&D, I spent many, many, many hours going through the archives at the NSA and other security agencies. Not only are some of the most interesting and credible reports available at these sites, esp the NSA, but it is often fascinating reading and provides a unique perspective into the workings of the cold-war, military industrial complex. It also provides an interesting historical perspective on military technology. So the long and the short of it is that it became a hobby. I was logged onto government sites for hundreds of hours over a period of perhaps five years. I've always wondered how closely someone may have been looking at me. The NSA did finally admit that they were tracking people who visited their site, but I don't know how invasive this was.

Funny thing about the CIA; if you die in the line of duty, you get a star on a wall, but no names listed. Even in death there is no public recognition of the people who do this work.

Last edited:

Hyperspace2 said:
Is it powerfull as shown in hollywood movies like enemy of the sate , bourne series and many more

As an instrument of force the CIA is a dud. Like a small dog with a loud bark.

The CEA, wow that's where the power is.

I actually thought FBi = CIA lol

phinds said:
The NSA is NOT set up at the Pentagon ... they have a huge complex out at Ft. Meade, Md.

That's their headquarters, on a military base, where they keep their super computer among other things. They also have facilities in Texas and Georgia. However, they were first conceived as a branch of the military and their role includes safeguarding all military and government communications. They were so secret at one time that it wasn't until twenty years after Truman created the organization that its existence became known to the public.

I would like to know how these people know the CIA is not as powerful as the Hollywood movies or even more powerful than the movies?

phoenix:\\ said:
I would like to know how these people know the CIA is not as powerful as the Hollywood movies or even more powerful than the movies?

Look around, how can all these things happen if they are so powerful?

What does powerful mean? What do they do in movies?

let's see, you're in biochem? you have any opinion on the silly stuff you see in shows like CSI?

hollywood has its own set of magic physics, chemistry, etc.

CIA: State Dept: Diplomats, treaties and picking pretty flowers.
NSA: Defense Dept: Marines and blowing things up.

nsaspook said:
CIA: State Dept: Diplomats, treaties and picking pretty flowers.
NSA: Defense Dept: Marines and blowing things up.

yes, that would certainly explain why NSA hires so many mathematicians

Proton Soup said:
let's see, you're in biochem? you have any opinion on the silly stuff you see in shows like CSI?

hollywood has its own set of magic physics, chemistry, etc.

All I am saying is who knows what they are up to? To claim they are similar to some bargain bin agency where street-level cops could do the same job is a little bit absurd in my opinion. For them to even last, most common day people (we the people here) must be kept in* the dark of most activities and know little of what they are capable of in today's world. That is the reason why I am asking you how do you know they aren't as powerful?

Last edited:

Proton Soup said:
yes, that would certainly explain why NSA hires so many mathematicians

Well, somebody has to design the big red button for the Marines to push.

You guys are nasty. Those mathematicians are marines first, mathematicians second. Obviously there is a lot more thought placed in today's marine than what you are used to seeing on some television show.

Because its Hollywood and they've even portrayed the CIA as defying the laws of physics.

You guys are nasty. Those mathematicians are marines first, mathematicians second. Obviously there is a lot more thought placed in today's marine than what you are used to seeing on some television show.

I'm not coming down on Marines or CIA. When something absolutely has to be destroyed overnight you send the Marines, when you want to take years, deal with corrupt officials, criminals, low-life and funnel money to your secret accounts, you use the CIA.

When I went to school in the early 70s, the NSA was recruiting civilian mathematicians. I went to a preliminary interview at that time. At the interview I was told that if I applied not only would my background be investigated, but also that of family members, friends, acquaintances, anyone I had ever met, and anyone I hadn't ever met. I didn't want to put others through it so I didn't apply.

Jimmy Snyder said:
When I went to school in the early 70s, the NSA was recruiting civilian mathematicians. I went to a preliminary interview at that time. At the interview I was told that if I applied not only would my background be investigated, but also that of family members, friends, acquaintances, anyone I had ever met, and anyone I hadn't ever met. I didn't want to put others through it so I didn't apply.

That the normal full scope background investigation that gets you in the front door. To enter the vault to get access to the crypt takes lshs9)&)*#)... no carrier...

wuliheron said:
Because its Hollywood and they've even portrayed the CIA as defying the laws of physics.

Plenty of things have defied the laws of gravity are you willing to label them nonexistent as well?

Plenty of things have defied the laws of gravity are you willing to label them nonexistent as well?

phoenix, it is trivial to suppose that an organization is virtually unlimited in power, unfettered in reach and most of all flawless in their covertness about the first two.

We here on PF don't deal in idle speculation; we deal in falsifiables.

Unless you have some evidence they have some of these abilities, there's not really much to discuss.

Falsifiables require evidence of the false-hood of whatever is in question, and from what has been posted, not one person is mustering up evidence to back their statements. With that said, I agree.

Falsifiables require evidence of the false-hood of whatever is in question, and from what has been posted, not one person is mustering up evidence to back their statements.
You totally don't get it.

The onus is on you in the first place to make a case that might need to be refuted. Until you do so, nobody here needs to make any statements at all, let alone back them up.

Now, make your case, and make it quickly, or this thread is going to be closed.

It may be too late already, since the case could be made that this thread does not meet the minimum requirements for posting. Threads have been closed for less.

... carrier acquired ...
It's a sad story.

This 'visitor message' belongs here since it's relevant, so I'm posting it.
phoenix:
I do get it, you aren't exactly using "falsifiability" in the correct manner. They can prove the claims of movies of portrayal of the CIA wrong through their own data, yet they do not. In other words, proving that the depiction is incorrect, incorrect.

Can we be certain of any activity or operation the CIA is carrying out? They are a clandestine organization whose main strength lies in people not knowing what they are doing, so for people to claim they know is fallacious. No-one who isn't apart of the organization knows which should have been the answer given to the OP instead of, "no." Yet pitchforks and grenades seem to be targeted towards me because of some divergent opinion that isn't exactly agreeing with the movies.

I never claimed anything of the CIA being powerful or not. What I did was ask for proof of the claim of the CIA not being as powerful as the movies depict the organization to be because I am curious how people arrived at such conclusions with no evidence.

DaveC426913:
"...some divergent opinion..."
What divergent opinion? You haven't made any case.

"What I did was ask for proof...arrived at such conclusions with no evidence"
Have you ever heard the 'teapot orbIting near Jupiter' story? Or Carl Sagan's invisible dragon? The lesson is the same. There is no need to provide proof to refute something that has no compelling reason to exist in the first place. Occam's Razor. It is simply more likely that there is nothing to be said here. If you disagree YOU must make the case.
I ask a second time. Make your case. Why do you think CIA might be as powerful as the movies make it out to be? Why would the CIA's power be different than Tom Cruise riding an exploding helicopter's shock wave to land on a bullet train?

It's the movies. There's your refutation. nuff said.

I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm saying you haven't even made an assertion that could be wrong (let alone right).

Last edited:
The CIA does much more things than just intelligence gathering. Judging by its name, it should only be doing that but it is clearly involved in black operations. Henceforth, they have create the SAD (Special Activities Division) for that purpose.

Why else would a civilian agency have an armed unit who are mostly ex-special operatives ? Let's also not forget about the drug trafficking to finance certain operations the government did not want to fund.

(By the way this post is not meant to go off topic, the thread is about how powerful the CIA is so that is why I am saying they are powerful because they do P then Q with A,B,C at hand.)

Has the CIA operated on humans, has the CIA committed itself to programs of remote viewing, has the CIA carried out programs of mind control?

http://www.wanttoknow.info/mindcontrol

Other documents:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB4/

From their own main site:

Here at CIA, most of the work we do is classified. And the work done in the Directorate of Science and Technology (DS&T) is no exception. In fact, the men and women—the scientists, engineers and technical experts—in the DS&T produce technology so advanced, it’s classified. Think back to a James Bond movie and the work developed by the “Q Branch.” What our men and women do is even more impressive.

The use of science and technology is critical to the intelligence process, and the DS&T’s mission is to attack intelligence problems with cutting-edge technical solutions to help protect the nation.

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/directorate-of-science-and-technology.html

I am more inclined to believe them since they have the money and brilliant men and women working for them to back them up.

There is no way to define how "powerful" the organization is compared to movies. The portrayal of any agency varies enormously from movie to movie, even the more realistic ones.

<h2>1. What is the CIA and why is it important to Hollywood?</h2><p>The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) is a civilian foreign intelligence service of the United States government, tasked with gathering, analyzing, and disseminating intelligence to support national security objectives. Hollywood often portrays the CIA in movies and TV shows because of its secretive nature and involvement in international affairs, making it a popular subject for storytelling.</p><h2>2. How does Hollywood typically portray the CIA?</h2><p>Hollywood often portrays the CIA as a powerful and secretive organization with advanced technology and highly skilled agents. They are often depicted as heroes, working to protect the country and thwarting threats from enemies.</p><h2>3. Is Hollywood's portrayal of the CIA accurate?</h2><p>While Hollywood's portrayal of the CIA may make for entertaining movies and TV shows, it is not always accurate. The agency's operations and methods are highly classified, so filmmakers often have to rely on speculation and creative license to depict them on screen. Additionally, the CIA is not always portrayed as accurately as other government agencies due to the lack of information available to the public.</p><h2>4. What are some common misconceptions about the CIA in Hollywood?</h2><p>One common misconception is that the CIA operates without any oversight or accountability. In reality, the agency is subject to numerous checks and balances from Congress, the President, and other government agencies. Another misconception is that the CIA is solely focused on espionage and covert operations, when in fact they also have many other roles and responsibilities such as analysis and intelligence gathering.</p><h2>5. Are there any movies or TV shows that accurately portray the CIA?</h2><p>While there are certainly movies and TV shows that take creative liberties with the portrayal of the CIA, there are also some that strive for accuracy. For example, the TV series "The Americans" has been praised for its realistic portrayal of the agency and its operations during the Cold War. Additionally, the movie "Argo" has been praised for its accuracy in depicting the CIA's role in the rescue of American hostages in Iran.</p>

1. What is the CIA and why is it important to Hollywood?

The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) is a civilian foreign intelligence service of the United States government, tasked with gathering, analyzing, and disseminating intelligence to support national security objectives. Hollywood often portrays the CIA in movies and TV shows because of its secretive nature and involvement in international affairs, making it a popular subject for storytelling.

2. How does Hollywood typically portray the CIA?

Hollywood often portrays the CIA as a powerful and secretive organization with advanced technology and highly skilled agents. They are often depicted as heroes, working to protect the country and thwarting threats from enemies.

3. Is Hollywood's portrayal of the CIA accurate?

While Hollywood's portrayal of the CIA may make for entertaining movies and TV shows, it is not always accurate. The agency's operations and methods are highly classified, so filmmakers often have to rely on speculation and creative license to depict them on screen. Additionally, the CIA is not always portrayed as accurately as other government agencies due to the lack of information available to the public.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the CIA in Hollywood?

One common misconception is that the CIA operates without any oversight or accountability. In reality, the agency is subject to numerous checks and balances from Congress, the President, and other government agencies. Another misconception is that the CIA is solely focused on espionage and covert operations, when in fact they also have many other roles and responsibilities such as analysis and intelligence gathering.

5. Are there any movies or TV shows that accurately portray the CIA?

While there are certainly movies and TV shows that take creative liberties with the portrayal of the CIA, there are also some that strive for accuracy. For example, the TV series "The Americans" has been praised for its realistic portrayal of the agency and its operations during the Cold War. Additionally, the movie "Argo" has been praised for its accuracy in depicting the CIA's role in the rescue of American hostages in Iran.